Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #1 
Gizmothefreaky

Suddenly not eating! D:

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon (divided)
What temperature is your tank? 78? i have one of those stick on thermometers and its hard to read sometimes.
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? none other than from the filter
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 otos, 1 shrimp, 2 snails and 1 African dwarf clawed frog.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqua Culture Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once, four pellets each

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? At least once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% friday, 100% every other Wednesday
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Ah, just the Tetra Aqua safe stuff

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: between 6.8 ad 7.2
Hardness: 75
Alkalinity: 80

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Willy is pale and has stress bars, and i cant tell if Twitch has stress bars, but he isnt right.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, i got Willy and Twitch both in march, and Spot in February. (of this year ^^; )

I am pretty worried about them. They were fine yesterday, and now they wont eat and look stressed. But it is just Twitch and Willy, Spot looks absolutely fine and eats like his little piggy self.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #2 
jessicag

I am confused, none of them are in the same tanks I am assuming. That's peculiar that both have stress bars, maybe its due to a recent water change. I would say 2 times a week is too much for a water change.
They do need healthy bacterias.

I know when my betta stopped eating it was due to depression, I moved him to a bigger tank and he just became very stressed and depressed one day suddenly. He wouldn't eat and if he did he spit it back out. His fins were like strings and he would not flare, it was a clear sign of depression. I did a water change and put him back in his old tank took about a week to recover and now hes happy as ever.

The other thing could be that they are constipated, and you might be feeding them a bit too much, I find its very hard to tell what the right about is, since different experts have different opinions and even the bottles of food tell you different things. Just keep in mind that their stomachs are the size of their eyeballs literally, but they have no self control and will eat until they burst.
jessicag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #3 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicag View Post
I am confused, none of them are in the same tanks I am assuming. That's peculiar that both have stress bars, maybe its due to a recent water change. I would say 2 times a week is too much for a water change.
They do need healthy bacterias.

I know when my betta stopped eating it was due to depression, I moved him to a bigger tank and he just became very stressed and depressed one day suddenly. He wouldn't eat and if he did he spit it back out. His fins were like strings and he would not flare, it was a clear sign of depression. I did a water change and put him back in his old tank took about a week to recover and now hes happy as ever.

The other thing could be that they are constipated, and you might be feeding them a bit too much, I find its very hard to tell what the right about is, since different experts have different opinions and even the bottles of food tell you different things. Just keep in mind that their stomachs are the size of their eyeballs literally, but they have no self control and will eat until they burst.
They are all in the same tank, a divided ten gallon. Each boy has a little over three gallons to himself. They have always been healthy and happy... well in the time ive had them anyway.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #4 
Gizmothefreaky

Mods you can delete this thread. Problem has been solved, turns out my heater was spazzing and causing water temp fluctuations. Twitch was in the section with the heater, Willy was on the opposite end, so he was cold. I fixed the problem.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #5 
Pekemom

Glad to hear you figured it out. How did you discover it was a heater problem?
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #6 
ScurvyGoat

I just wanted to warn you that African CLAWED frogs (Sometimes called African Dwarf Clawed Frogs) are COMEPLETELY different from African Dwarf Frogs. ADFs are cute little guys that have long skinny legs and webbed front hands. ACFs are chunky and have no webbing between their hands. ACFs will grow about the size of your hand and even as a tiny froglet can and will attack anything and everything that moves. They will grab a hold of a much larger fish and drown themselves before letting it go. I have two ACFs and one ATE a smallish Oranda goldfish. These guys need a lot of room and make a huge mess. Plus, they are much healthier on live foods like crickets and roaches. They will grow as big as your hand and a Betta is but a snack for them.

ADFs have rough looking skin and also do best on live prey. However, these guys are MUCH less aggressive and can happilly live with a Betta. If in doubt of what you have, send me a pic. =] I'm well versed in the ways of the African Froggies and have had both for years. I don't mean to take up room on the forum with with froggie stuff, sorry! Please feel free to email me at Route-37@hotmail.com if you have any questions about them!

And I'm glad your fish started eating and are happy again!!!
ScurvyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #7 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekemom View Post
Glad to hear you figured it out. How did you discover it was a heater problem?
I discovered it was a heater problem when i went to check on the boys again and the temp had dropped from about 78 down to near 74, and an hour later was back up again... >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScurvyGoat View Post
I just wanted to warn you that African CLAWED frogs (Sometimes called African Dwarf Clawed Frogs) are COMEPLETELY different from African Dwarf Frogs. ADFs are cute little guys that have long skinny legs and webbed front hands. ACFs are chunky and have no webbing between their hands. ACFs will grow about the size of your hand and even as a tiny froglet can and will attack anything and everything that moves. They will grab a hold of a much larger fish and drown themselves before letting it go. I have two ACFs and one ATE a smallish Oranda goldfish. These guys need a lot of room and make a huge mess. Plus, they are much healthier on live foods like crickets and roaches. They will grow as big as your hand and a Betta is but a snack for them.

ADFs have rough looking skin and also do best on live prey. However, these guys are MUCH less aggressive and can happilly live with a Betta. If in doubt of what you have, send me a pic. =] I'm well versed in the ways of the African Froggies and have had both for years. I don't mean to take up room on the forum with with froggie stuff, sorry! Please feel free to email me at Route-37@hotmail.com if you have any questions about them!

And I'm glad your fish started eating and are happy again!!!
And yes, i know the difference, and i deffinately have a dwarf frog, i have another thread in the betta chat section ( http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=68021 ) if you want to see a picture of him/her. :3
Old 04-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #8 
ScurvyGoat

Hehehe!!!! Cutie!

I just wanted to make sure because I hear the ADF/ACF confusion all the time. It really makes me want to smack stores that sell them all the more. One is docile and an inch or two and the other turns into Loch Ness and eats everything in sight! xD

I found the ADFs trickier to keep. Maybe I just had bad stock. My ACFs are practically bulletproof! After having horrible disasters with Red Eyed Tree Frogs the ACFs make a much welcome change of pace.

PLEASE don't think I'm being rude, I swear I'm not. I just wanted to double check because baby Clawed Frogs are just as small (And make me squee!). After some quick research I have found ADFs and ADCFs are the same species. The guy who found them named them ADCF, but the name changed to ADF because those little claws wear off young usually. Putting emphasis on the claws just confused people more. Tomayto, tomahto.

That is why I was confused! lol What's the little one's name? My ACFs are Tupac and Biggie. =3
Old 04-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #9 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScurvyGoat View Post
Hehehe!!!! Cutie!

I just wanted to make sure because I hear the ADF/ACF confusion all the time. It really makes me want to smack stores that sell them all the more. One is docile and an inch or two and the other turns into Loch Ness and eats everything in sight! xD

I found the ADFs trickier to keep. Maybe I just had bad stock. My ACFs are practically bulletproof! After having horrible disasters with Red Eyed Tree Frogs the ACFs make a much welcome change of pace.

PLEASE don't think I'm being rude, I swear I'm not. I just wanted to double check because baby Clawed Frogs are just as small (And make me squee!). After some quick research I have found ADFs and ADCFs are the same species. The guy who found them named them ADCF, but the name changed to ADF because those little claws wear off young usually. Putting emphasis on the claws just confused people more. Tomayto, tomahto.

That is why I was confused! lol What's the little one's name? My ACFs are Tupac and Biggie. =3
Well, mine WAS Jake... but now i think it might be female... so... Jackie? XD i dunno...

And my LFSs only sell the ADCFs, if they get any of the ACFs in they are always albino, and the dwarf ones dont come in albino as far as i know.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:32 AM   #10 
ScurvyGoat

Ah but they DO! On my frog forum one member was lucky enough to spot a true albino ADF. We're all on pins and needles as it needed some babying due to bad conditions. We're hoping it will get to full health so he can possibly breed. There's a good sized market for them as they are all but non-existant. Not one of the MANY frog enthusiasts had seen one before so it was really quite exciting.

My ACFs are one of each! And I think Tupac may actually be a girl. S/He is the smaller one, and albino, but is starting to get the tell tale tail (lol). Tupac will swim right into my hand and chill there while I hand feed them guppies and crickets.

Do you have AIM or an E-Mail we could froggy chat with? I feel bad bumping this thread up in the Sick forum. I can send you some pics of my Amphibian Vacuums. =]

AIM- WeaselWarCry
E-Mail- Route-37@hotmail.com