Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #1 
patel249

Betta might have clamped fins

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? dont know, but there is a 2-5 gallon water heater in there
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? no

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta pellets an freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 twice a day, 2 pellets per serving

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? none

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? no
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms? since i got him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? dont know, got him 3 days back
Attached Images

patel249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #2 
jessicag

The pictures to me are quite decieving, the first picture looks like the start of his fin at the bottom being clamped but then the picture on the bottom looks fine.

I wouldn't take any action until they are quite visibly clamped. Believe me it is noticebale, their tails will look stringy.

I could tell with my betta because when I would get him to flare they would not go out fully like that would before, or would not flare at all.
jessicag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

I would get a thermometer so you can monitor the water temp and the water temp of the replacement water for water changes....

What is your source water....I see you don't use any dechlorinator...if you are using city water supply or bottled water you will need dechlorinator for any water added to the fish...

In a 1gal without a filter I would make twice weekly water changes...1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality...

Make sure the water temp is within a couple of degrees between new and old water with water changes and always use dechlorinator with any new water added to the fish....

Right now-I would check the water temp and make sure its not too hot or cold and make a 50% water change for a couple of days and see if that will help.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #4 
patel249

my source of water is tap water which i run thru a water filter, but i noticed that he is pretty scared (just got him a couple days back) he always runs away if i put my hand near the fish tank
Old 04-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Unless this is a R/O system-you will still need to get a dechlorinator for the fish water....that may be what his problem is...also, I would not use the filter water unless it R/O for the fish and then if it is R/O water you will need to get replacement minerals for the water....get a dechlorinator and bypass the filter, get a thermometer and check your temp and make a couple of water changes....hopefully he will survive the toxic substance and not much damage has been done.....it all depends on the type of water filtration system you have setup on your house/source water......
Old 04-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #6 
patel249

umm, dont know what an R/O system is but i use brita water filter pitcher
Old 04-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Okay...you don't have R/O system...the brita filter only change one Ion for another that is worse for the fish.....get a dechlorinator ASAP and make a 100% water change with it...ASAP....
Old 04-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #8 
tracyalexa

They sell the stuff at the pet shop. There are many kinds, just ask someone for the stuff to treat the water. Listen to old fish lady. You need a thermometer so you know exactly what the temp is. Otherwise he could be too hot or cold, both are bad. I'm new as well to bettas but there is a lit that goes into keeping one.
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:38 PM   #9 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfishlady View Post
okay...you don't have r/o system...the brita filter only change one ion for another that is worse for the fish.....get a dechlorinator asap and make a 100% water change with it...asap....
+1,000,000
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #10 
patel249

did a 100% water change, used tap water and splendid Betta "Complete water conditioner" also bought a thermometer will post a pic of my fish tomorrow morning