Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #11 
kfish

You're definitely not overfeeding or anything... I've heard of a lot of bettas just having that reaction to food, though. Maybe you can try switching food if you have enough money to buy a different type? Perhaps bettas can have allergies. I feed Aqueon pellets, and they are quite small (not expensive, either).

As long as you keep up with your water changes, 1 gallon is fine. I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading that... just make sure you're keeping the temperature stable without a heater.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #12 
FireKidomaru

ok...i might try crushing up his two little pellets too so that he can digest the pieces easier
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #13 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKidomaru View Post
ok...i might try crushing up his two little pellets too so that he can digest the pieces easier
I think that's a good idea. Just watch out for the extra mess that might make in the bowl - you'd definitely have to increase your water changes. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #14 
FireKidomaru

thanks a ton for all your help!
Old 04-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #15 
turtle10

[quote=FireKidomaru;650859]ok....sorry this is so late...school has taken up all of my time and Eppy has been confusing the heck out of me...one day he is bloated beyond belief and the next hes his cute little self swimming around normally...so here are the questions i answered
Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? Idk hes in my room which is a constant temperature
It is very important to keep the temperatures in the 76-78 . What temp is room temp? I highly suggest you get a thermometer and if needed a heater.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Hes alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day 3 or 2 pellets cause hes so small
I would split this into two meals.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week because im busy all the time and I do not have time…
Sorry but this is not enough. In a tank that small you should be doing 100% water changes every other day. There is no way you don't have 20 minutes in the day to do that. Not having enough time is not an excuse to not care for your pet. Not trying to be rude, just telling you the facts.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100 %
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Idk for any of them

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He is super bloated (he looks like he swallowed a small marble) then he is better the next day
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He floats to the top when he is bloated
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago and he has been off and on all week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nope…im trying to figure is out…
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? Very young…hes half the size of all my other boys

I suggest you up the water change schedule, for sure get a thermometer, and if the water doesn't stay at 76 then you need a heater.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #16 
FireKidomaru

in case you did not know..but i am a highschooler and i am in advanced classes as welll as a 3rd degree black belt in taekwondo and tricking...i try my best and my fish are healthy and happy...plus i am in the process oif purchasing new and better tanks but because money is tight i cannoit afford all 10 tanks at once...all of my fish will be in a new tank by possibly june i hope..so in the mean time im trying my best thank you
Old 04-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #17 
turtle10

Money is tight for me as well, and I am taking a lot of classes too (I am in college), but that doesn't mean I don't do adequate water changes when I need to. I stay up late if I need to, it takes like 30 minutes.

You still need to up your water changes is all I am saying, and when you can, get a heater.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #18 
FireKidomaru

Well I will have to wait till summer to do much else
Old 04-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #19 
turtle10

Okay, just do the water changes then. They really are necessary.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #20 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Money is tight for me as well, especially since I am moving soon, but that doesn't mean I don't do adequate water changes.

You still need to up your water changes is all I am saying, and when you can, get a heater.
I do agree... You really do need to do water changes at least three times a week... meaning, every other day, but you can skip 2 days if you have to and also fast him one of those days. So, for example, Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday... skip to Sunday. That gives you one free day, at least.

To make the process faster, pre-mix your water and conditioner in 1 gallon jug that held spring water or whatever. Keep it near the bowl, and it'll reach the same temperature. You can get multiple jugs and make it even faster, so that if one day, you don't have time to re-fill the jug, it won't affect your next water change.

Note: Every other day is preferable, but I'm just trying to offer a suggestion for your busy schedule.

Last edited by kfish; 04-17-2011 at 09:34 PM.