Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #1 
fungambler

At my wits end with Cutie Pie!

Cutie Pie is still sick. Many of you have tried to help me and he is still alive, but I am at my wits end as to what's wrong with him. It's been about 7 weeks since his heater malfunctioned, up to 90 degrees. After that he became lethargic, staying at the bottom most of the time. I have medicated him with two different types of antibiotics and they didn't work, tetracycline, and some yellow powder the pet store gave me. He is in a 2 1/2 gallon tank, water 78 degrees, no filtration. I have been doing partial water changes everyother day, and I read about Epsom Salts, from Old Fish Lady, so for the last 4 days I have been adding 2 tsps. of that to his partial water change. He stays either in his tunnel, laying on his side. or at the bottom laying against a plastic plant. He comes up to the top to eat though, each morning with either flakes or pellets (4), and he does eat. He's a crown tail and his top fin is clamped, the bottom one is normal, no fin rot, and nothing on his little body. I have no idea what else I can do for this little guy but I am willing to try. As I have said, he has a heck of a will to live!
fungambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How old is he....he has clamped fins and lethargic...right....still eating.....

He had a couple of rounds of antibiotics and now on day 4 of Epsom salt 2tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes.....right......

Have you used any tannins

He may be getting toxic from all the products used.....I would try fresh water treatment for a couple of days and see if he will improve....make some 100% daily water changes for 2-3 days......if you have any live foods...either mosquito larva or guppy fry...mass feed him these for a few days to get his nutrition level up to work on the immune response......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #3 
fungambler

No live bait. I do have frozen blood worms. He hides in his tunnel all day and night, just lays up against the side. His top fin is clamped, bottom one ok. He does still eat. Don't know if I could get him to eat a pea. I have been doing 50% water changes with the epsom salts. Not 100%. Should I change to that and try the pea thing?
Old 04-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Is he bloated? or having buoyancy problems?
Old 04-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #5 
fungambler

No not bloated and he stayed at the top of the tank for a while this morning, which was surprising. He's been hiding since then though. Changed the tank again today too and have him at around 79. He is still eating too!
Old 04-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #6 
fungambler

Cuite Pie cannot swim very well today. He could barely make it to the top to chomp up his little pellets. I do now think he has swim bladder problems, though I am sure it's coupled with something else. I would give anything to help him. He has been like this so long and just won't give up. Can anyone suggest anything at all?
Old 04-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Did you do some fresh water treatments or do you still have him in the Epsom salt......
Old 04-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #8 
fungambler

Yes! Every day! What about more tetracycline?
Old 04-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungambler View Post
Yes! Every day! What about more tetracycline?
Tetracyline probably wont do much if it is a swim bladder problem. Have you tried any IAL?
It has done miracles for my one fish Batman..That poor guy is always sick it seems.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Yes, what...epsom salt treatment or fresh water treatment.....too much treatment can sometimes be as bad as the wrong treatment or no treatment....you can over treat with OTC products and the fish gets toxic.....sometimes it is best to stop all medications and treatment and just do fresh dechlorinated water treatment with 50-100% daily water changes and good nutrition to give the fish immune response a chance to kick in....