Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #1 
dinahkay

Betta fish suddenly not eating...

Housing
What size is your tank? just switched on 4.13 to a 5 gallon tank from a 2.5 gallon tank
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? yes Tom mini internal with spray bar
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes as of yesterday
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day two pellets each time

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly, but just changed the water 100% for the new tank (but I moved over the filter from the original tank)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? previously 100% in the smaller tank, haven't changed it yet in 5 gallon tank
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? aqueon betta bowl plus - just tested and treated with top fin ammonia remover

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:1 or 2 it was right between the two colors
Nitrite:unknown
Nitrate:unknown
pH:unknown
Hardness:unknown
Alkalinity: unknown

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is staying at the top, resting on a plant constantly. When I fed him yesterday after the tank switch he ate fine, then this morning only ate one pellet. Now this evening he will not eat any. He swam to a pellet, then spit it out and swam back to his plant to sit near the top of the water.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? none
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? unknown. got his at petco a little over a month ago.
dinahkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #2 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahkay View Post
Housing
What size is your tank? just switched on 4.13 to a 5 gallon tank from a 2.5 gallon tank
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? yes Tom mini internal with spray bar
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes as of yesterday
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day two pellets each time

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly, but just changed the water 100% for the new tank (but I moved over the filter from the original tank)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? previously 100% in the smaller tank, haven't changed it yet in 5 gallon tank
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? aqueon betta bowl plus - just tested and treated with top fin ammonia remover

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:1 or 2 it was right between the two colors
Nitrite:unknown
Nitrate:unknown
pH:unknown
Hardness:unknown
Alkalinity: unknown

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is staying at the top, resting on a plant constantly. When I fed him yesterday after the tank switch he ate fine, then this morning only ate one pellet. Now this evening he will not eat any. He swam to a pellet, then spit it out and swam back to his plant to sit near the top of the water.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? none
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? unknown. got his at petco a little over a month ago.
First off, do a water change right NOW. Between 1 and 2 ammonia is lethal. It should never be over .25

He is probably sick because of the water quality. Also I suggest a different brand of food. Hikari bio gold isn't good for bettas anymore, they changed the formula. That as well could be why he isn't feeling well.

Also, I highly suggest you get a test kit so you can control the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate spikes.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #3 
dinahkay

Maybe I should clarify that I tested the ammonia levels right before I posted this and then treated the water with the ammonia remover. Should I still change the water, if so do I do a 100% change? The test kit said to treat the water and then retest two hours later which I was planning to do. Please let new know if I should do a water change?

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #4 
turtle10

Quote:
Maybe I should clarify that I tested the ammonia levels right before I posted this and then treated the water with the ammonia remover. Should I still change the water, if so do I do a 100% change? The test kit said to treat the water and then retest two hours later which I was planning to do. Please let new know if I should do a water change?

Thanks!
You shouldn't use chemicals to get rid of the ammonia, that is what water changes are for. As long as you never let the ammonia get past .25 it will be fine.

I would do a change just to be safe. What are the levels of ammonia in your tap water?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #5 
Canuck Fins

I agree that water changes are going to be much better than using a chemical to lower the ammonia. I think the ammonia is very likely causing the issues you are seeing right now.

Consider too that your fish will take a bit of time to adjust to the new tank. :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #6 
dinahkay

I tested my tap water and it is 1.0 or 1.5 based on the color scale. I listed retested the tested tank water and it looks like it is a 1. What should I do?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #7 
dinahkay

Sorry swype keyboard entered funky words...should say retested treated tank water and it is now at 1, but it pribabky has onky been an hour since it was treated.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #8 
turtle10

Okay well from what you are telling me I think you are using test strips… correct?

My advice… throw them out and get a liquid test kit. The strips are inaccurate and unreliable.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #9 
dinahkay

It is a liquid test specifically for ammonia. The API Ammonia NH3/NH4+ Test Kit.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #10 
turtle10

Quote:
It is a liquid test specifically for ammonia. The API Ammonia NH3/NH4+ Test Kit.
Oh okay.

Then yeah that is accurate, but 1.0 ppm isn't good at all :/

BUT you said that you use the ammonia neutralizer stuff so what the test kit may be picking up on is ammonium. Ammonium is harmless to fish. The neutralizer turns the ammonia into ammonium, but only for a day or two. That shouldn't be a problem in a cycled tank because the ammonia is eaten by the bacteria. But you don't know if the tank is cycled or not, so to be safe I would do water changes every 1-2 days to remove the ammonia.

I suggest you get a test kit for nitrite and nitrate so you can know if the tank is cycled.