View Poll Results: Which should I buy..I am undecided
Critter keeper..3 gal 20 57.14%
glass cookie jar 2 gal 6 17.14%
standard 2.5 tank 9 25.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

Decide for me..I cannot decide..

I am in between 3 new homes for my fish Batman..He cannot handle the filters or big tanks at all..They stress him out big time..And I cannot do 100% water change on a 5 gallon (bad back..) I have decided to buy something smaller to keep him happy ....But I am in between these:

a three gallon critter keeper...(im surre you all know what these look like)

a 2 gallon glass cookie jar that is somewhat cool looking..

(without that lid..I could make a mesh top)

ooooor...a standard 2.5 gallon.

I kind of like the idea that the critter keeper would have .5 more gallons though...hmmm....

I plan on having either of them heated..and planted..and have a little cave as well...What do you all think?

Are their any pros/cons to acrylic tank vs. glass?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #2 
tracyalexa

I use a human heating pad under my critter keeper and it works rePly well, consistent temp. I asked if a heater could go in and they said not a great idea. So I vote critter. And it gives them more space to swim.
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #3 
Ai Shimizu

Well, I'd have to agree with the poster before me. The critter keeper offers a lot more space for your fish to swim in and it allows you to decorate with a lot more plants and other decorations. If your betta gets stressed out about the size of the critter keeper you could always take more room away with decorations so that there isn't as much room for your betta to get stressed about.
Ai Shimizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #4 
Luimeril

i adore my KK's. :d you can put a heater in there, but it's hard to get them to sit just right, so if you could find a small one, those would work great. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:11 PM   #5 
Arashi Takamine

Cookie jars FTW! My tanks are cookie jars and Akira and Maka can't get enough of them. I have enough room in Maka's tank to add more plants too.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #6 
Silverfang

I would go for one that is wider than taller, unlike mine, more room for plants and other decorations
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyalexa View Post
I use a human heating pad under my critter keeper and it works rePly well, consistent temp. I asked if a heater could go in and they said not a great idea. So I vote critter. And it gives them more space to swim.
I would be terrified I would burn my house down. I have bad luck like that..How hot does the heating pad get?I use a heating lamp for the little critter carrier he is in right now.It surprisingly keeps his critter carrier at a steady 78degrees. His critter carrier is only .75 gallon at the moment though..I just use it for QT usually..but he seems so happy in this little container! I would like to get him something a bit bigger though and a heater. It is hard to find a heater for a .75 gallon container that doesn't heat the thing up ridiculously high!Our house stays at 77degrees so our tank water isn't extremely cold...so when I put those little bowl heaters in the water gets super hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
Cookie jars FTW! My tanks are cookie jars and Akira and Maka can't get enough of them. I have enough room in Maka's tank to add more plants too.
My buddy Cleo lived in a cookie jar for 8 months! he loved it! I also like that they are glass..so much easier to clean, IMO.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #8 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
My buddy Cleo lived in a cookie jar for 8 months! he loved it! I also like that they are glass..so much easier to clean, IMO.
XD They are the easiest improve tanks to maintain and a heck of a lot better then the 1.5 I had for my goldfish when I was six. (The filter was constantly going, it blew flakes everywhere...Ugh. It was such a pain to clean.0

I love the fact that betta's don't need filters. Makes keeping them so much easier. Of course if I had a divided ten gallon for them then it'd be a different story.

My vote still goes for the cookie jars. Surprisingly a lot of decor can do into one but still give the fish a lot of room to swim.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #9 
CyerRyn

I almost bought a vase for my son's Betta but I wasn't sure if you could really use those. It's nice to know that you can actually use them. I want to vote the critter keeper (for the size) but the cookie jar sounds soooo cute!
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:55 AM   #10 
StarvingPoet

Smile Jar Homes

We have two of our males in those exact cookie jars! They work great. We have them planted and everything. The boys love them. And little heaters work great in them. We even worked out being able to use the lids by encasing some inch thick pieces of cork in aquarium sealant and sticking them to the underside of the lid. It sits up enough to leave room for airflow, but still covers the jar nicely and helps keep the heat in better than a mesh top would.
This a picture of our Ariel in his jar home -complete with large bubble nest project. Haha. He's always working away on it.

Name:  Ariel's Home.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  108.0 KB
StarvingPoet is offline   Reply With Quote