Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #1 
laughing

Trying to start a sorority

I found these gorgeous girls I want to get, but I really don't want to rush. And hey, there will always be more right? So I want to do this the right way 100%. I'm getting a 20 gallon (replacing my current one) with lighted hood, filter, and heater.

Right now I have small gravel, small river rocks, and large stones in there. I'm going to add a LOT of val in that tank and cover the whole back with it basically and make a thick "grass forest" thing and add a center piece of driftwood with anubias on it most likely. Does that work well??

As well, how many fish is a good number? I don't know how many girls I should add to this 20 gallon to allow them to live happily but not overstock.

Any other helpful tips would be AMAZING. I read the sticky under Betta Care but I just need help designing the tank!

Thank you all!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #2 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
I found these gorgeous girls I want to get, but I really don't want to rush. And hey, there will always be more right? So I want to do this the right way 100%. I'm getting a 20 gallon (replacing my current one) with lighted hood, filter, and heater.

Right now I have small gravel, small river rocks, and large stones in there. I'm going to add a LOT of val in that tank and cover the whole back with it basically and make a thick "grass forest" thing and add a center piece of driftwood with anubias on it most likely. Does that work well??

As well, how many fish is a good number? I don't know how many girls I should add to this 20 gallon to allow them to live happily but not overstock.

Any other helpful tips would be AMAZING. I read the sticky under Betta Care but I just need help designing the tank!

Thank you all!
The plans sound fine, as long as it basically looks like a jungle your good to go.

The minimum number of girls that should go in a sorority is five, but more is better as to spread out aggression.

You could probably do about 10-12 girls in a 20 gallon, as long as they are the only fish of course.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #3 
laughing

So does it matter the set up at all as long as you have many covers for them so they're not staring at each other all day?? LOL
Old 04-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #4 
turtle10

Quote:
So does it matter the set up at all as long as you have many covers for them so they're not staring at each other all day?? LOL
I am not sure what you mean by covers, do you mean hiding spots?

I didn't mean look like a jungle, I just meant planted and decorated as thick as a jungle would be. No open areas.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #5 
laughing

Yes, hiding spots.

Should the WHOLE tank be covered, or should it mostly be covered with an open space in the front for them to swim?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:51 PM   #6 
turtle10

I would say no open spaces, but maybe just have everything a little less condensed towards the front.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #7 
laughing

Ok I get it... I think I'll do it really thick in the back, then a little more spread out in the front, with a very small window viewing where the twisted piece of driftwood covered in moss and anubias will be (with many cravesses and such).
Old 04-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #8 
turtle10

That sounds perfect! You should post some pictures, I bet that driftwood is gorgeous!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #9 
laughing

Ya it's like a stump with wooden roots all over I love it! I might put a different piece in depending on how the val turns out... It's really pretty though. :) Thanks so much for helping me decide... I think I woulda messed up!

And really? 10-12??
Old 04-14-2011, 10:03 PM   #10 
turtle10

Quote:
Ya it's like a stump with wooden roots all over I love it! I might put a different piece in depending on how the val turns out... It's really pretty though. :) Thanks so much for helping me decide... I think I woulda messed up!

And really? 10-12??
Yeah I have a 10 Gallon with five girls (which is about the maximum for that size tank) and a 20 gallon with five girls and seven cories, so you could definitely do that many bettas.