Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #11 
demonr6

The flow is not horribly bad. I am really happy with the Zoo Med so far. I am able to add whatever media I choose which is great. Two ways to control the flow but they are DIY sort of. One I can add a one way gang valve and use it to limit the flow to whatever level I desire, two is a route I chose.. I am replacing the stock inlet / outlet pipes with some really nice acrylic pipes that a forum member on one of the other forums custom makes. The size of the holes drilled into the outlet pipe can be used to regulate the flow as well. If you are looking for a permanent solution that is one avenue to explore. If you want to be the master of your own destiny then you can go the valve route for maximum flexibility. I would still go my route though and replace the inlet / outlet simply because these pipes are way more visually appealing than the horrid tubes that come with the ZM.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #12 
demonr6

Done! sort of at least

My moss came in yesterday and the replacement acrylic inlet / outlet tubes and drop checker that someone made for me came in today so the finishing touches were added. I still need to sort that right rear corner but otherwise here it is.

Ooh and the five ghost shrimp are all but dead now. Water is tested daily and everything is zero across the board except the Nitrites which are almost at 5 ppm so I am stumped.

Drop checker, inlet & outlet pipes

Old 04-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #13 
BettasForever

Gorgeous photos... sorry about the shrimp... maybe OFL can help out here? :)
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #14 
vaygirl

I've been drooling over those Finnex for weeks now. Great pics. It looks wonderful!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #15 
demonr6

Not an expensive tank really. The tank, light and filter were under $50. I scrapped the filter but the light is great.

I think I figured out my shrimp issues.. the thermostat on our a/c is set to 75 after 10 pm. That tank has no heater and this morning the water temp was clocking in at 74 which is not within the range of those shrimp. I am trying to avoid the heater but may not have an option. In that case it will be an inline because I don't want anything else in that tank. Moving it to another room where it will stand a better chance can be an option but when the ambient in the room is 75 then I still have to face that challenge. Lost another one this morning, and then there were three.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #16 
demonr6

Update 05/09

Time for an update!

I will try not to be long winded, forgive me if I do..

Flora - the dwarf baby tears have taken off, the pigmy chain sword is doing really well, the anubias finally shot a new leaf for the first time in six months I have owned it. Aponogenton, meh, not so good. Added cambomba and some other plant whose name escapes me. It is in the pic located right behind and to the right of the stump.

Remaining two ghost shrimp still kicking although their days are numbered. Red cherry shrimp coming. The Celestial Pearl Danios are doing great and really cool little fish. I like them a lot. I may add a school of them to Dante's tank when I upgrade it in the coming weeks.

Bought an LED setup replacing the stock lighting since I think it was too close to the plants being a couple of inches from the surface. I finished up a DIY rack for it and I will be adjusting it to get the right amount of light to the plants.

I have a surface film problem I cannot quite get my head around. It is a build up that happens over a couple of days and I have to manually remove it. I may get a lily pipe to see if I can resolve that issue. I am still figuring out the proper feeding for everyone in the tank and I understand that may be part of my problem.

Dosing with Pfertz now, started last week. Probably why my plants are looking so well now.. :)

Questions, comments, concerns and complaints always welcome. Hope you enjoy!

Old 05-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #17 
wallywestisthebest333

Beautiful tank. It's really well done! I like the way everything is arranged and the plants.

Tossing a few floaters in there and taking them out for photo shoots may help with your nitrites for a while.

Did you get the CPD from a breeder? Or are they wild caught? If wild do you plan to breed them? If from a breeder who can I buy them from? One day a few years from now I'd like to have some for myself. =]

So the whole setup only cost $50 total? And the brand name is Finnex? Neat! <3 I'll have to look that up!

That'd be an awesome Birthday present for my sister! =] Thank you so much for sharing this information! =] She'll absolutely love it! <3

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 05-09-2011 at 10:16 PM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #18 
Pekemom

Gorgeous tank. Love the setup and the arrangement of the decor.

Why wouldn't you purchase a heater (reading abt the ghost shrimp requirements)??
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #19 
scootshoot

Dang you take beautiful photos. Well done
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:37 AM   #20 
ilovebunnies

One day I shall have a finnex tank too! ;)

Great tank, love the crazy light too!
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote