Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2011, 06:56 AM   #21 
demonr6

I bought the kit from eBay from a vendor who sells Finnex. I am really happy with the tank. A shame I had to toss the light but I feel it was too much for the system. They sell full kit all the way to tank only if that is what you want.

The CPD's I purchased from a breeder, I can get you his contact information if you are interested. Great little fish.. I plan to add more to another tank. I am not sure about breeding but if it happens.

The ghost shrimp were put in there as a temporary solution to get the tank started while I purchased the Danios and other shrimp that can do without a heated tank. The first Danio deal fell through and then the shrimp deal as well because that person dragged their feet. The ghosts should have been in there a few days at most, here we are almost a month later. They seem okay though. As soon as I sort the shrimp situation they will go to one of the larger tanks.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #22 
demonr6

CPD breeder in case anyone is interested in contacting him on information about stock, fish etc is youngrichkd@yahoo.com and he is aware of my giving his contact information out. Just let him know you got his email from me.. :)
Old 05-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #23 
demonr6

05/12 update

Minor update. I took some pics this morning as I was feeding the CPD's. I took some close ups on the plants showing the growth since day one.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #24 
demonr6

Update! Time lapse too!!

I have not posted updates in a while and thought I would share the progress and explain my madness.

New pics taken this evening. I really need to buy some tools so I can trim this mess before I end up with a tank full of plants.

I added a Manzanita twig with moss on the 21st and threw in this other twig that the shrimp seem to enjoy sitting on and blowing in the breeze. Go figure. I am making an attempt at a time lapse to show some of the progress.

Enjoy!

04/16

04/21
Added stump and black background, floating some SWT in the tank but it will die soon

04/28
Added moss wall
Dwarf Baby Tears are beginning to take off

05/02
Cambomba on right and another plant in the middle added
Celestial Peal Danios added

05/09
Pigmy Chain Sword on left added, middle plant is going crazy
Ditched the stock Finnex light replacing with an LED lamp

05/15
Dwarf Baby Tears own the place

05/21
Added small twig with moss to break up that right side and Pennywort??
Plant in the middle is now as crazy as the Dwarf Baby Tears

05/26
Gaaaah I need tools so I can trim this little shop of horrors!
You can see the moss wall is starting to fill in slowly, it is not dead or brown so I will take slowly over that

Photo period is nine hours of the LED lamp, using the Pfertz once weekly. I had a brown diatom attack a couple of weeks ago prompting me to tear down the canister and clean the tubing and pipes plus a major water change. I think it was the background light from the blinds being open too much. Dunno though, its not as bad now so I will live with it. Still get some of it but not nearly as bad and can be cleaned off easily. Not sure if it is due to the dosing or not.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #25 
ilovebunnies

Wow, this tank is really looking good. I really want a finnex... you are making it difficult to stay away, lol.
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #26 
demonr6

For only $18 bucks tank only.. why not. I already ditched the stock light and filter for my own so I advise tank only and get your own gear because inevitably you will want to upgrade.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #27 
Thunderloon

5ppm NITRITES?

Uhm. If your nitrites are at 5ppm your cycle is death-stalled, nothing will survive that for long except the plants and its going to start hurting them soon.

Ammonia > Nitrite Nitrite Nitrite > Nitrate Nitrate Nitrate Nitrate Nitrate

Just like with ammonia your bacterial cycle can stall on nitrites as well, there comes a point where the bacteria cannot eat without being harmed.

Whenever ammonia or nitrite go over 1.0ppm you must do a water change to cut the amount under 1ppm.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #28 
demonr6

I've not had any problems other than the diatom outbreak which was minor. Everything is okay now.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #29 
LeroyTheBetta

Fantastic looking tank! If you hire out your services, would you be my aquascaper? lol I just haphazardly plant my tanks, they're about 95% functional, 5% pretty.

Maybe the diatom outbreak was just due to the newness of everything and the silicone in the sand and tank. As the free silicone is used up diatoms should disappear.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #30 
demonr6

LOL.. yeah I think I am in the same camp as you. I throw it in there hoping it looks as planned.

I have a natural planted shrimp bowl that I let alone to run its course. I occasionally check on it and top it off when necessary. The water is awful but the shrimp, plants and snails are alive and well. Go figure.