Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #1 
laughing

What is truly "obsessive"?

I have this whole thing when I see a fish I GOTTA have, I get it. My mom tells me I'm completely obsessive and I need to slow myself down but I don't get what "obsessive" really is?

I had a 5 gallon filtrated and lighted tank with complete decor before I received my 2 male balloon mollies. I then read about them and upgraded them into a 20 gallon with 4 females. They lived happily until a parasite plagued their tank and killed the females, not the males yet (or ever maybe?). So now I have 2 male balloon mollies and one GlowFish.

I don't think I'm obsessive because I NEVER buy a fish without a proper home or set up for it or if I know I can't get one quick for them... How is this bad? So what if in 5 months I have 20 bettas around the house if they're all taken care of, right? Most of the things I buy are things FOR the fish, not ACTUAL fish.

I don't see anything wrong with it, but others are putting me down...

So what's 'OBSESSIVE' to YOU?
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #2 
Tisia

I think it's when you start giving up important parts of your life. like missing work to stare at fishies, or spending money on aquabid instead of food, or if you're no longer able to sit at your kitchen table cause it's now filled with tanks
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #3 
Luimeril

if you can't go to the pet store, without bringing someONE home, you're obsessed. :p
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

If you can't go a day without looking at Aquabid.

Our fish to me are members of the family. Life is too short to regret EVER getting any creatures.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #5 
TheKzv

For me, its when i come home from school and i spend 4-5 hours either cleaning the tanks, doing water changes, or just looking at the bettas lol
also I always spend to much time on aquabid wishing for some $$ so i can afford them and I'm always looking forward to MONDAYS since new shipments of bettas come in every week to my LPS or LFS.
TheKzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #6 
RiverStoneBetta

It's one of those "helping or hoarding" questions. I think obsession/compulsion can be a serious problem to pet owners. The easiest line to see for other people is the lack of care given to the current pets because the one "has to have one more."

Also, once you begin making trade-offs between gas/food/bills/work/kids/etc, and your fish, you've become obsessive. But if you have a 5 gallon ready to go already, then that's just being a bettaholic, which we already know about. =] The tank on my nightstand is taunting me right now as I type this.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote