Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #1 
LittleNibbles93

Our fish and our parents.

My sudden burst of Betta love has kinda freaked my mom out, but we came to the agreement I can have them, but I have to buy any tanks, decorations, food, and medicine with my own money, I found that fair.

Then I asked her if I could have as many bettas as she does cats, she said yes, so thats means I can have 6 bettas!

Tonight I asked her if she supported me in it, she said she does, just not financially, but she'll support me in everything else. She likes sitting at the table (where my tank is) and talking with Cici when eating breakfast, lunch, or dinner :P Funny cuz she rolled her eyes when I got her at first, she even calls her "Pepperoni".

I also asked my mom if she'd ever want a betta, she said not a betta, but an oscar, she's always wanted to have one since she was a little girl (she grew up with an aquarium) but could never afford it.

So, just like, 15 minutes ago, I made a promise with/to my mom that someday, when we're our own home (living with my aunt, she doesn't mind bettas), we'll go out and get everything a Oscar needs and get her one.

How about you? What are your parents like about fish?
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #2 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Oh my god.
Oscars get HUGE.

But they're freakin fun to have as a pet, too. You can hand-feed them and... they're pretty much like an aquatic dog.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

It was my dad's idea to get betta's! XD I always thought they were beautiful but after goldfish I hadn't really thought seriously of getting one because I always had my dog. After we saw my BFF's betta's in vases with bamboo my dad said we should get one....
Then he suggested as a joke to get two but we liked the idea so now we're waiting on getting two boys. My dad is very supportive of my betta love and he's looking forward to meeting Kalona just as much as I'm looking forward to getting him.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #4 
hannah16

My Mom likes looking at the fish, she says all the colors & everything help her mood when she's down (And lately, thats often, so I keep dragging her to the petstore).

I like fish, (Mainly bettas & koi) because I think they are pretty & I love taking care of them. They are so unique and beautiful. Even my Dad (who hates like everything....) Likes fish.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

My mum was never really been a fish person, since a certain goldfish tank from back in the dim dark ages of my youth. However, fast-forward eleven or so years, and about the same number of bettas, and she has completely changed her mind.

The only times my mum complains about my fish, is whenever I a) mess up the powder room/kitchen/her ensuite/the laundry when I do water changes, or b) when I spill something like ten liters of water/Seachem excel/half a bottle of blackwater extract on the carpet. All I can say is thank God for whoever invented rugs.

The rest of the time, my mum is actually really tolerant of me and my fish. She lets me spread their tanks all through the house, and doesn't mind all that much when I plug in a heater and blow the power. It's even gotten to the point where I now have to let her choose a pair of her own to fill my final couple of tanks.

At the LFS yesterday, I was told if we win lottery she is going to set up a saltwater tank and I can maintain it for her. I think I'm going to go find any recent tickets and shred them up haha.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #6 
Luimeril

my mom LOVES fish. her favorite is the Angel fish. so, she understands my love for bettas, but doesn't understand why i want so many. xD i tell her, "mom! you have alot of fish, if i do" when she tells me that, because she likes schooling fish. my argument is "i don't have alot of fish. i just have to have alot of tanks.". xD
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #7 
BlakbirdxGyarados

I can't say much on what my parents think of my tons of fish I have right now. Mostly considering that I'm on my own. :P
And I can't say much about my granparents, since my grandpa used to breed bettas and loves fish just as much as I do. Grama... well, she doesn't mind. She just really hates it when one dies, since I bury them and try to make a little "casket" out of paper towels or something... |D So I make her feel extra bad...

Eh... if i ask Mom about what she thinks of my fascination with aquatic animals, she'll probably say something along the lines of "I'm indifferent" or something.

But I bet that if I still lived with her and my stepdad, they'd have a big problem with it. xD;
Old 03-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #8 
Luimeril

i'm waiting for the day mom plants her new Cherry Tree. >.> she wants to plant it in the "fishie graveyard". ._____o i'm gonna be sitting on the porch, watching, waiting for her reaction when she uncovers four baggied bettas. >.>;
Old 03-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #9 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
i'm waiting for the day mom plants her new Cherry Tree. >.> she wants to plant it in the "fishie graveyard". ._____o i'm gonna be sitting on the porch, watching, waiting for her reaction when she uncovers four baggied bettas. >.>;
Aww, maaan... gravedigging. D:
Kind of a scary thing....
Old 03-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #10 
Luimeril

accidental grave digging. i didn't know she wanted to bury her tree there. xD so, i've been using it as a betta graveyard for the past year. :d