Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #11 
kathstew

African Dwarf Frogs aren't supposed to have claws. African CLAWED frogs have claws. African Dwarf frogs can be kept with bettas, but it takes some figuring out, and depends on the betta. African clawed frogs get very large (I am not sure the difference in the dwarf variety, but obviously it WILL be smaller) and can't be kept with bettas. They become violent, and dangerous to the fish because of their sharp claws.
African dwarf frogs and african clawed frogs are mistaken a lot.
I don't know, yours kinda looks like an ADF to me. I can't really see the front legs, but usually they have noticeable claws. And ACF have buggier eyes.
Here's a link that helps to tell the difference:
http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/specie...edordwarf.html
I know with a ADF, males usually have a longer stubby tail. I don't know if its the same for ACFs though.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #12 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathstew View Post
African Dwarf Frogs aren't supposed to have claws. African CLAWED frogs have claws. African Dwarf frogs can be kept with bettas, but it takes some figuring out, and depends on the betta. African clawed frogs get very large (I am not sure the difference in the dwarf variety, but obviously it WILL be smaller) and can't be kept with bettas. They become violent, and dangerous to the fish because of their sharp claws.
African dwarf frogs and african clawed frogs are mistaken a lot.
I don't know, yours kinda looks like an ADF to me. I can't really see the front legs, but usually they have noticeable claws. And ACF have buggier eyes.
Here's a link that helps to tell the difference:
http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/specie...edordwarf.html
I know with a ADF, males usually have a longer stubby tail. I don't know if its the same for ACFs though.
lol, yes, i know its a dwarf frog, it has webbed front feet and flatter eyes. Believe me, i checked! XD i was very careful to get a dwarf and not a regular one. I could get really detailed photos of my frog, but to do that i would have to cup the poor thing.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #13 
Dragonlady

If you don't already have a tight fitting lid where you are housing your frog, you will need one. Trust me.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:06 AM   #14 
FuulieQ

African Dwarf Frogs are the same as African Dwarf Clawed Frogs. Just a different name. :) ADFs DO HAVE CLAWS. They are small, black nails and they are ony on the hind feet. They're used to aid in shedding.

Your frog is looking female. I say that because of her body shape and the thickness of her arms. Also, only males, sing, so if she is quiet than she is definitely a she. Tail length is not a very good determinant of gender in my experience. It may just be the line that I've worked with, but body shape and arm thickness are really the only indicators I've seen to be reliable. Males also get a small swollen gland in their armpits, but females occasionally have that too. In my mature females, I can also sometimes see eggs through the abdominal wall. :)

If you want a frog that will sing, the first thing necessary is that the frog is a male. Secondly, my male frog never sung until I added in my female frog. Some males will sing in the absence of females and it isn't uncommon for them to do so, but having a girl around (I think) makes them sing louder and more frequently. They also seem happier, although that may just be me anthropomorphizing.

I have pictures of both my adult male frog and my adult female frog, as well as some photos of their babies (that was an accident, who would have thought out of all the frogs I'd have the misfortune to get a mating pair? ...But I learned -_-) in my photo albums on my profile.

Anything else you need to know? :P

WALL

OF

TEXT

Last edited by FuulieQ; 04-17-2011 at 12:14 AM.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:43 AM   #15 
kathstew

LOL. I KNEW it was a dwarf frog. I didn't know they were the same thing though, thats really cool.

I had three for a few days (in different betta tanks) but the bettas really didn't like them. LOL. One of my bettas, Ocean, grabbed the frog by its leg and shook it around. O_O
I had a male ADF in the tank in my room. The singing was kindaaaa creepy at two oclock in the morning, LOL.
Good luck with them!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #16 
tsoto80

They are not the same!!! Google it or read wikipedia you will see the difference. It is important not to mix the two because clawed frogs are more agressive than the dawf frogs I had 2 ADF for awhile and they do well with bettas however it is hard to keep them fed because they are slow eaters and their food gets stolen so they starve. I suggest to house them alone because of it. Alot of times petstores mistakingly sell ACF as ADF.
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #17 
tsoto80

ACF- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_clawed_frog

ADF- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_dwarf_frog

there made it easy for ya lol
Old 04-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #18 
tsoto80

okay I found this article too http://exoticpets.about.com/od/frogs...clawedfrog.htm seems like it is still a clawed frog but that it is a dwarf size?? I never heard of this type so is there three types now???? so confused oh the sexing you could tell after they are 9 months old lol

Sorry bout all the postings
Old 04-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #19 
DarkMoon17

IMO it's a female. Males are usually more streamline and I don't see any discolored pores behind the arms.
-DM17 :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #20 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post
African Dwarf Frogs are the same as African Dwarf Clawed Frogs. Just a different name. :) ADFs DO HAVE CLAWS. They are small, black nails and they are ony on the hind feet. They're used to aid in shedding.

Your frog is looking female. I say that because of her body shape and the thickness of her arms. Also, only males, sing, so if she is quiet than she is definitely a she. Tail length is not a very good determinant of gender in my experience. It may just be the line that I've worked with, but body shape and arm thickness are really the only indicators I've seen to be reliable. Males also get a small swollen gland in their armpits, but females occasionally have that too. In my mature females, I can also sometimes see eggs through the abdominal wall. :)

If you want a frog that will sing, the first thing necessary is that the frog is a male. Secondly, my male frog never sung until I added in my female frog. Some males will sing in the absence of females and it isn't uncommon for them to do so, but having a girl around (I think) makes them sing louder and more frequently. They also seem happier, although that may just be me anthropomorphizing.

I have pictures of both my adult male frog and my adult female frog, as well as some photos of their babies (that was an accident, who would have thought out of all the frogs I'd have the misfortune to get a mating pair? ...But I learned -_-) in my photo albums on my profile.

Anything else you need to know? :P

WALL

OF

TEXT

Oh thank you so much! Well, now i have to go and change my signature! XD I now have JACKIE the ADCF.... hee hee!!

And thank all of you other posters for your information, the links were very interesting! :3
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote