Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #1 
PewPewPew

Red face Oh plants... D:

Im looking to turn my tank to almost completley natural. Atm, I have a dinky java fern (its like an inch and a half tall wth.) and two very small anubias, again, wth. I have anacharis, but its dwindling.

Ive been looking to get new plants, but Im not into the most common varieties. Like, Im not a fan of wisteria, bacopa (wont work for me), dont have the right substrate for crypts or swords and really like rooted plants <3

Ive been looking at these plants, but am having issue with finding straight info on its needs. Help? <3

My tanks:
~I have two five gallons, though over the summer will be consolidated into one tank.
~Each tank has a 10w tubular florescent bulb, max wattage I can get Dx
~Marbles as a substrate (shallow)
~Filtered/baffled, lost the cycles
~Temps are 78-80 without heaters atm (my room is hot D:<)
~I have drift wood to attach to, ideally! :D
~I also have large lake rocks that could have rooted things :D
~I supplement nutrients with Tetra floura pride and an occasional shot of magnesium via epsom salt.

I dont like messy plants (ex. hornwort/shedding plants...RAGE!!!!) or plants that need more care than I can give.

Would these work in my tank/how are they as tank plants?

-Sagittaria subulata, "dwarf sagittaria"...It becomes a carpet, but could it live in marbles? Its so cuutte..

-Sag. Platyphylla, its cousin? I cant find info at all, ugh! I like it, though.

-Nymphoides aquatica, Banana plants..If it can grow in marbles, I want this so bad! Ive read it can be hurt by snails...I have a nerite, who wont eat it. Is there something about snails thats not good for them? Id put it either without the snail or on the other side of the divider.

-Hygrophila Corymbosa "Giant/narrow hygro"..will it be ok in my marbles? Can it root?

Any thoughts? Im going to shoot them an email, too.

Thankies <3

PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #2 
NikiandBeyond

I don't know much about plants yet, so I can't really comment on the ones you're looking. I can say that my local store fish expert recommended the banana plant to me, knowing that I had only basic gravel and the right light. Whether it would have worked out, I can't say. I only left with a marimo ball (I'm adding another soon).

If you were considering a floating plant, hornwort was indeed a mess. I hadn't been warned about the shedding when I bought it, and I threw it out days later. BUT parrot's feather has been just awesome. It hasn't shed yet, and I don't know if it will. The only maintenance I've done is to trim the stems now and then, since it's thriving so well in my tank. They're so delicate looking and just preeetty.
NikiandBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

I am fairly new to owning sword plants.. But I really do love the swords I have..They are big and bushy and my fish love to rest on them.From what I have read I believe 10 watts for a 5 gallon should be an alright amount of light for a sword as long as the bulb is 6500k. They also like root tab fertilizer.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #4 
Tisia

I think I've read that dwarf sag will actually get pretty tall in low light conditions, but stay shorter in higher light
not completely sure what's considered low light, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Im not really worried about the light so much as the substrate, which limits me on what I can get.

I cant get swords or crypts, really, because my substrate is too loose and shallow.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #6 
MoePaac

With a marble substrate, I think it will be hard to grow certain plants. I have a NPT (soil base). I'm currently studying abroad in Mexico, so I haven't seen my tanks in a few months now, but before I left my dwarf sag wasn't really taking off. It was alive, but hadn't really gotten growing. I'm not sure if that has changed or not.

I have tried banana plants time after time and no luck. I had one originally that did really well. It was back when I knew nothing about plants or fish and so I kept it in an unheated fish bowl with my first betta. Ever since I started keeping "proper" tanks, I haven't had luck. But I know other who have luck with it.

In my opinion I think some good options for you are:

anacharis (especially if you fertilize)

keep working with the java fern and anubias, they are slow growers but will eventually get nice.

Look into mosses that you can attach to your driftwood. Mine took a while to get settled, but now that it's growing it looks great.

I like hygro's because they do well rooted in substrate or floating. Keep them a little spread out or the stems will loose leaves from a lack of light. I find these hard to kill hah

Another option is to get a plant that you like but are worried about from lack of substrate. Get a small terra cotta pot... put a layer of gravel on the bottom, put soil (no fertilizer in it) over the gravel, plant a nice aquatic plant, then put a 1 inch layer of gravel on top of this. GENTLY lower into the water so you don't disturb the soil. This will provide the substrate and nutrients to the plant and it's moveable. A good option for this could be small-sword species or the crypts. You could do a couple of these if you wanted.

Also an interesting link though I know you're not setting up a NPT: Small planted tanks
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:01 PM   #7 
ireland

Though I have not mess with the Sag. Platyphylla and Sagittaria subulata, "dwarf sagittaria" I know they are usually used as carpeting plant and what I know of carpeting plant is that they love CO2. I'm not sure what lighting condition they prefer, again I have not mess with these, but what I do know is, almost any plant can thrive in a medium lighting setup as long as it has good CO2 level and non-limiting nutrients, by that I mean a weekly fertilizer dosing schedule.
ireland is offline   Reply With Quote