Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #1 
Twilight Storm

How do I use the forum search function?

I have a lot of questions that I am sure have come up before in the past. Rather then start a bunch of new threads with them, I have been trying to search and I haven't found pretty much anything I have searched for.

It looks like I did a LOT wrong when I got my Betta. I got a three gallon tank kit with a whisper filter. Marineland crescent 3 system. It had a lot of good reviews. I was and am cycling it still (now with a danio in it to hopefully speed it up a little because I didn't listen to the "after you add this to your tank you can put fish in right away!..)

The pet store sold me substrait made out of lava rock? The bag didn't say what it was. (It looks like lava rock, and when I was rinsing it in a bucket it took me about 6 hours to get most of the filth. (Cloudy dust/dirt/small particles that would make the water horrible if you bumped the gravel.) I need to know if it is safe for Bettas?

I need to replace my plastic plants with something that won't hurt my fish. (20 dollars worth of plastic cool looking garbage now) I have seen silk plants in some posts but no specific information on what kind other then no glitter etc. Some come with wires which I am guessing is bad for heavy metal leech into the water. How can I tell if the dye on them is safe? I really want to go to the dollar store and pick out something since they have silk plants there but I don't want to hurt my fish.

(no one kill me on this one please)
Why is the IBC so secretive and unhelpful with information? When I got my Betta their website was the FIRST place I went, after reading my Betta book which is ok but left me with a lot of questions. Basically all I got from them was "Give us money, and we will give you information. All the rest of you who don't give us money need to go elsewhere because we do not want to help Ye of little cash." (During my search for information I picked up a rather nasty computer virus, mind you only clicking on sites that my anti-virus software said were safe to go to, but the stupid hackers got around that) Then I found this site and pretty much stopped here.

I really don't want to sound like a troll, (and I KNOW I probably do.) but I am frusterated (not understanding the search function on forums and the need to wipe my operating system off my computer soon), and very sad for all my moms fish, scared to death i'm going to kill mine. (either by cross contamination or some stupid mistake I could have avoided if I knew what I was looking for)

My first 5 days with my new little guy have pretty much been filled with horror. (Not Storm's fault though!!) But I would like to thank OldFishLady for her help, and to those of you who did welcome me to the site. My post kind of turned into a novel and a rant and I am sorry to those who only read short posts. Once I can use the forum I am sure I can answer some of the above myself.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

To search the forum you click the Search link located in the tool bar at the top of the page and type in what you want. You may have to dig a little bit to find the information you need.

As far as the IBC you can go to their facebook page and ask questions if you want. The face book page is International Betta Congress. Most of the info you can buy in the techincal assistance library is not going to help you as it mostly pertains to breeding and genetics. Forums are probably a much easier place to get info on care.

Cycling with a danio is not the best method IMO. You have to realzie when cycling your subjecting the fish to horrendous ammonia levels and despite what pet store workers will tell you Danio are no different from any other tropical fish and are not ammonia resistant. If the fish does make it through the cycle alive then you have to figure out where to house it because danio are a shoaling fish that need to be in groups of 6+ to feel comfortable which can't be done with a betta in a 3 gallon tank.

I've never used lava rock in my tanks but if you bought it as something marketed towards aquariums its probably safe. Many new substrates require lots of rinsing before they stop clouding.

Silk plants designed for the aquarium are your best bet. Buying ones designed for ornamentation can be tricky as some leach dye and most have wires in them which are not good for fish tanks. You can probably get away with using the plastic plants you have unless they seem especially sharp.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote