Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #1 
fosschick

Betta's color is dulling, belly swollen; sign of something wrong?

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? Between 75F - 80F (does not fluctuate often, but it's not always the same)
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No, just 2 live plants.
Is your tank heated? Yes, 25W currently set at 75F and it never comes on during the day. It might come on at night, I'm not sure. I live in the south.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None; just the plants.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TopFin Betta Bits, Hikari freeze-dried bloodworms, Aqueon Aquarium Plant Food, and on occasion, Hikari freeze-dried brine shrimp.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets in the morning, 2 at night. Approximately 5 worms every other day as a treat. The brine shrimp, just a tiny pinch once a week before the PWC; sometimes he really goes for these, other times he ignores them. The plant food is poured in once a week after the PWC.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1/5 (1 gallon, via gravel siphon)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? TetraAqua AquaSafe Water Conditioner with Bio Extract. I add it to the 1 Gallon of fresh water that I prepare the day before, so when I add the new water to the tank, it is at room temperature. The next day, I test the levels. They are always "safe".

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? Yes. I test weekly.

If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.5
Hardness: It's on the soft side of normal. The numbers are at home and I'm at work now, I will update this value later to be more specific.
Alkalinity: Numbers are at home, sorry. I will update this later.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Body color has dulled, fins look... sad. Belly is swollen.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No changes in behavior.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Approximately 3 weeks ago, and the change has been very gradual.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? When I perform his water change, I put him in a small, 1/2 gallon plastic tank, so he's not disturbed by the siphoning process. The past 2 weeks (since I noticed the swollen belly) I started adding 1/2 tbsp epsom salt to this water beforehand, to give him a "salt bath" while I siphon the main tank. The entire process takes about 10-15 minutes. I have to say that the swelling seems to have come down a little since I started doing this. The dulling of his colors has me scared, however.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? He was purchased from PetSmart approximately 6 weeks ago.

Here is a picture of Rocko now:

I can add more if requested.
fosschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #2 
fosschick

OK ladies and gentlemen; home now.

Hardness: 75
Alkalinity: 120

Just tested again, actually. All other values are the same.

Current temp is 80F even.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #3 
fosschick

Just took some more pics so you can get a closer look. These guys are hard to shoot with an iPhone. ;)

Left side:

Right Side:

Old 04-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #4 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosschick View Post
Housing
What size is your tank? 5 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? Between 75F - 80F (does not fluctuate often, but it's not always the same)
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No, just 2 live plants.
Is your tank heated? Yes, 25W currently set at 75F and it never comes on during the day. It might come on at night, I'm not sure. I live in the south.
75 is just a wee bit chilly, try raising it to 78
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None; just the plants.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TopFin Betta Bits, Hikari freeze-dried bloodworms, Aqueon Aquarium Plant Food, and on occasion, Hikari freeze-dried brine shrimp.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets in the morning, 2 at night. Approximately 5 worms every other day as a treat. The brine shrimp, just a tiny pinch once a week before the PWC; sometimes he really goes for these, other times he ignores them. The plant food is poured in once a week after the PWC.That is a lot of freeze dried food. Freeze dried blood worms are a treat only and should be fed as a single worm maximum of once or twice a week. Same for the Freeze dried brine shrimp. You want to keep all freeze dried foods to a minimum.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1/5 (1 gallon, via gravel siphon)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? TetraAqua AquaSafe Water Conditioner with Bio Extract. I add it to the 1 Gallon of fresh water that I prepare the day before, so when I add the new water to the tank, it is at room temperature. The next day, I test the levels. They are always "safe".
You say you change half the water in the five gallon… but you also say you only change one gallon? Do you change 2.5 gallons or 1? And what is "safe"?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? Yes. I test weekly.

If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.5
Hardness: It's on the soft side of normal. The numbers are at home and I'm at work now, I will update this value later to be more specific.
Alkalinity: Numbers are at home, sorry. I will update this later.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Body color has dulled, fins look... sad. Belly is swollen.
He is probably bloated from all the freeze dried food.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No changes in behavior.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Approximately 3 weeks ago, and the change has been very gradual.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? When I perform his water change, I put him in a small, 1/2 gallon plastic tank, so he's not disturbed by the siphoning process. The past 2 weeks (since I noticed the swollen belly) I started adding 1/2 tbsp epsom salt to this water beforehand, to give him a "salt bath" while I siphon the main tank. The entire process takes about 10-15 minutes. I have to say that the swelling seems to have come down a little since I started doing this. The dulling of his colors has me scared, however.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? He was purchased from PetSmart approximately 6 weeks ago.

Here is a picture of Rocko now:

I can add more if requested.
I suggest cutting back on the freeze dried foods altogether for a while. I suggest buying some frozen daphnia.. it will help him with any bloating and blockage. When doing the epsom salt treatment you are supposed to leave him in the 1/2 gallon quarantine container for ten days (floating in main tank). 10-15 minutes won't do much. WHile in the ten day quarantine, do daily 100% water changes with one tsp of epsom salt per gallon.

He is soo bloated.. poor guy :(
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #5 
fosschick

I will cut out the freeze-dried food and start the quarantine now. I wish they would say these things about over-feeding and bloating on the labels of the food, but then again they wouldn't be able to sell it, I suppose. And here I thought I was doing right by him by getting these fancy foods. :(

BTW, 1/5 != 1/2. I change one-fifth of his tank at a time. I don't believe I ever said half, but I'll double-check. Should I be doing more at a time, or more frequent changes, or anything?

His water temperature is 80F right now, and will probably stay there for the rest of the summer.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #6 
turtle10

Whoops I read it as one half. One fifth is too little. You should be doing at least 50%. Is your tank cycled?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #7 
fosschick

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Whoops I read it as one half. One fifth is too little. You should be doing at least 50%. Is your tank cycled?
50% really? Okay. That's actually a bit easier for me to do anyway.

It's not properly cycled. I didn't know anything about fish, at all, when I bought Rocko, sadly. I knew enough to get a test kit (and worthless expensive food), and strangely his levels are showing 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates. The pH always stays on the lower end of "normal" at about 6.5 (not ideal, but I hate to fuss with it and stress him out), and the hardness and alk. are always 75 and 120 respectively. I am not sure why the tank tests so well without having been cycled, now that I've read up on it. Unless it cycled with him in it before I started testing? That's awfully fast though, so I'm a bit stumped on that one, to be honest.

Thank you for the feedback, and for helping me make my fish more comfortable.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #8 
fosschick

Update:

It's been a week in the 1/2 gal hospital tank, floating in the main tank. Hospital tank has 1/4 tsp epsom salt, and water conditioner. I do a 100% water change daily. I keep a pitcher of water ready to go that I prepare the day before so the water is conditioned, salt is dissolved, and water is room temp. It's been very warm here, so the hospital tank has stayed right at 80F for the whole week. I also did a 100% water change in the main tank and vacuumed the gravel so it will be ready for him.

I fasted him for 2 days, and then fed him frozen (thawed) daphnia which he readily consumed. He took 2 big poops the next day. The day after that I gave him 2 frozen (thawed) bloodworms, with more daphnia. Again the next day, he pooped a lot.

However, he isn't getting any smaller. In fact, he's getting bigger (more bloated in the stomach). So I'm going to fast him some more, at least with the frozen blood worms. I'm glad he's pooping, but it doesn't appear to be helping the swollen belly. I don't want him to starve, but he cannot be comfortable like this, and it breaks my heart.

To reiterate, he hasn't had any freeze-dried foods, nor any other food not found in nature (no pellets, no flakes). I can't figure out why he's still bloated.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #9 
fosschick

Oops, I meant to also mention something positive: His color is more vibrant, and his fins look great. There is marked improvement there, however it's overshadowed by the swollen belly. It's evenly swollen still, just like in the previous pictures, so it's not just on one side. Also he's swimming around normally and behaving as if nothing is wrong.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #10 
Cassandra90

Have you tried fasting him?
Is there any poop? He may be constipated.

Fasting may help, I would try to fast for 2 to 4 days and watch for poop. If Rock doesn't then try feeding him peas. Soft peas broke up without the shell can help if it is constipation.

Also use epsom salt, use the recommended dosage, I use API Freshwater Aquarium salt.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote