Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #21 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

I am hoping she is just 'eggy', but not sure yet... all my other bettas are sleeker than her...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #22 
jackals

for treating a sick betta (the salt route) what is the difference between epsom salt and api Aquarium salt?

My betta is sick and I bought API aq salt, but someone said epsom is better.. what is the difference?
jackals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:11 PM   #23 
orphansparrow

have you considered that it may be dropsy? the symptoms of dropsy are an abnormally bloated belly and raised scales. the bloatedness is usually fluid build up in the tissues, caused by kidney failure. it is fatal. i really really hope this isn't what it is...but here is a link to another site that talks about it:

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #24 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

orphansparrow,

Nope, not drospy.... no 'pine-coning'... she remains active, eating and such. I 'bloat' at this point is very small and symetrical... I'm leaning more to 'eggy' at this point... but the original constipation and parasites she was treated for are under control...

jackals,

Espom salt is not really a salt... its really magnesium sulfate!

It is a constipation cure for fishes, along with an anti-inflamation aspect and anti-bacterial properties.

Espom salt treatments (and other salt treatments) should last no more than 10 days.

Oldfishlady is the one who introduced me to espsom salt use, and knows the best concentrations of what salts to use and for how long, for a number of things.

The thing about aquarium salt is that some people use it all the time, to 'ward off' dieases. But there are drawbacks to this:

1. The tank bacteria can build up an immunity to the salt, making it useless for treatments.

2. If added to the tank weekly without water changes, it can poision the fish and kill them (kidney failure).

3. Some species of fish (like Cory Cats and loaches) cannot tolerate salt - it chemically burns them.

There are a number of threads by OFL (OldFishLady) regarding specific treatments for specific ailments. Do a search on the forum for her posts... you'll learn alot by reading them (I did)! :)

Old 04-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #25 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

"I 'bloat' ".... LOL... I meant "the 'bloat'"!
Old 04-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #26 
jackals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Fishy Fishy Fishy View Post
orphansparrow,

Nope, not drospy.... no 'pine-coning'... she remains active, eating and such. I 'bloat' at this point is very small and symetrical... I'm leaning more to 'eggy' at this point... but the original constipation and parasites she was treated for are under control...

jackals,

Espom salt is not really a salt... its really magnesium sulfate!

It is a constipation cure for fishes, along with an anti-inflamation aspect and anti-bacterial properties.

Espom salt treatments (and other salt treatments) should last no more than 10 days.

Oldfishlady is the one who introduced me to espsom salt use, and knows the best concentrations of what salts to use and for how long, for a number of things.

The thing about aquarium salt is that some people use it all the time, to 'ward off' dieases. But there are drawbacks to this:

1. The tank bacteria can build up an immunity to the salt, making it useless for treatments.

2. If added to the tank weekly without water changes, it can poision the fish and kill them (kidney failure).

3. Some species of fish (like Cory Cats and loaches) cannot tolerate salt - it chemically burns them.

There are a number of threads by OFL (OldFishLady) regarding specific treatments for specific ailments. Do a search on the forum for her posts... you'll learn alot by reading them (I did)! :)

Thank you for that summary.. if you see my thread in the habitat/bowls section.. she recommended for my guy epsom salt. She seems to know a good deal about these fish. I just got some and doing a 100% water change.
jackals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #27 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Jackals,

Great! Yes, she does know a lot! ;)
Old 04-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #28 
fosschick

Quote:
Originally Posted by orphansparrow View Post
have you considered that it may be dropsy? the symptoms of dropsy are an abnormally bloated belly and raised scales. the bloatedness is usually fluid build up in the tissues, caused by kidney failure. it is fatal. i really really hope this isn't what it is...but here is a link to another site that talks about it:

betta diseases
Hello :)

In Rocko's case, there is no pineconing and the only bloated bit is his abdomen. He's also acting normally, as well as eating and pooping normally. I *think* can cross Dropsy off the list, but thank you just the same! :)
fosschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #29 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

fosschick,

I am also pretty sure Rocko isn't eggy, lol.... :D
Old 04-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #30 
fosschick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Fishy Fishy Fishy View Post
fosschick,

I am also pretty sure Rocko isn't eggy, lol.... :D