Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Your first pair

A post on the IBC facebook page put this in my head.

Post pictures of your first pair, what colors were they? What tail type? How long ago was your first spawn? Was it successful?

My first pair was Multicolors (big surprise there huh?). The female I believe was an import fish that Jenn V brought to our show for auction and the male was a 1st place winner in his class at the GABBA show. I can't remember who his breeder was

The male's name was Sid Vicious and the female was Nancy (haha..get it Sid and Nancy.. get it?? ??... y'all are probably too young).

Anywhooo.. I set up the spawn last summer approximately around late June. The pair was amazing. I introduced them and the very next morning they were spawning. There were well over 200 fry in the nest.

Unfortunately I underestimated exactly how much time the fry needed and none survived. Also last summer my dog, Bella, had a disc in her spine rupture and I had to take care of her round the clock, teaching her how to walk again last summer so unfortunately my fish fell to the wayside.

Unfortunately right after being removed from the spawn tank Sid got ich. Despite my best efforts to treat it he didn't make it :( Nancy also died last year when a bacterial infection wiped out half of my sorority.

Here's Sid:

Here's Nancy:
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #2 
bettalover2033

Aww im so sorry for the loss! And they are so pretty! Im sure it was hard for you.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #3 
monroe0704

First spawn was is November 2010. I'm a newbie :D It was between Harlequin, a blue marble DT and Yun, a blue marble ST female. It was unsuccessful >_< He bubblenested and they never embraced.. so is this even considered a spawn? LOL. My first semi successful spawn was between Helios and Artemis, both Yellow marble HMPK. They spawned and I actually had a few fry hatch, but they didn't make it past a few days :(
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #4 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe0704 View Post
First spawn was is November 2010. I'm a newbie :D It was between Harlequin, a blue marble DT and Yun, a blue marble ST female. It was unsuccessful >_< He bubblenested and they never embraced.. so is this even considered a spawn? LOL. My first semi successful spawn was between Helios and Artemis, both Yellow marble HMPK. They spawned and I actually had a few fry hatch, but they didn't make it past a few days :(
Oh poor fry. What did they die from?
Old 04-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #5 
beat2020

My first were a pair of cambodian halfmoons. I got them back in August 2010 from Victoria Stark. They were a beautiful pair but the male wasn't a good breeder at all. He never blew a bubblenest or anything. He would just fight with the female. So yeah needless to say, my first spawn was unsuccesful. I lost the male shortly after the spawning attempt due to dropsy and the I lost the female a few weeks after. Here are a couple of pictures....

Blaise

Cerise

beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

I remember that pair :) I think I sent you food cultures. Wow.. it seems like so long ago.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #7 
beat2020

Yup you sent me the VE. :P
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #8 
monroe0704

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Oh poor fry. What did they die from?
I'm sure it was partly due to the fact that Helios wasn't in prime health to begin with, but I wanted to try before he passed. Ugh still upsets me when I think of his loss :'( Other factors contributing to the fry death could be poor water quality per chance?? It's hard to say since they passed sooooo soon after hatching. Didn't even become free swimming!
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #9 
pdxBetta

My first pair... they didn't have cameras back then. Well, not digital cameras anyway.

The first pair that I spawned was in 1989, and was a red DT pair given to me by IBC champion breeder Ed McGehee. Ed came in to the pet shop that I worked at to buy frozen brine shrimp, and we started talking. The next week, he brought me several nice bettas, including a cellophane male, a melano male, a huge blue female, and a pair of red DTs. Those reds are still the nicest red bettas I've ever seen. No iridescence at all.
pdxBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #10 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe0704 View Post
I'm sure it was partly due to the fact that Helios wasn't in prime health to begin with, but I wanted to try before he passed. Ugh still upsets me when I think of his loss :'( Other factors contributing to the fry death could be poor water quality per chance?? It's hard to say since they passed sooooo soon after hatching. Didn't even become free swimming!
ohh im sorry. Well you will get a successful spawn soon, (if you havent already.