Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #1 
newbie32

Face-plant

My betta, King Fishy, just swam violently to the top of the water to get some air, kind of floated back to the bottom and face-planted into the gravel. Seriously. Is this normal of a betta? He still isn't eating and he has barely moved from his spot in the gravel all day. Just laying on his side until the face-plant incident.
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #2 
newbie32

and occasionally he opens his mouth really wide like you would if you were yawning. does that mean he's having trouble breathing?
Old 04-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

How long have you had him, how big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, any tank mates, what kind of food are you offering him....can you post a pic......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #4 
newbie32

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal
What temperature is your tank? even 76
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? he now lives with a gold inca snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? i've tried flakes, blood worms and most recently pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? i try to feed him once a day. he doesn't eat.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? i just treated him for ick, which required a different schedule, but once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1/3
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7
Hardness: very hard
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he's changing color
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he doesn't swim anymore. besides the episode listed above. i tried to snag him with a net so i could try and feed him. he swam fairly decently away from me. on his own, he does nothing.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about as long as i've had him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not now
Does your fish have any history of being ill? i thought he had ick once. dont' know if he did.
How old is your fish (approximately)? i've had him for almost a month. don't know how old he was when i got him from the pet store.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #5 
newbie32

this is basically all he does. only today, he hasn't flared his fins at all.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

What did you use to treat for ich and how long did you treat, what made you think it was ich....I ask, because you added that he is opening his mouth really wide a lot or on occasion and this can be a sign of parasites in the gill plate area and hard for us to see......has he ever eaten for you or is this new since you have had him for a month or so......
Old 04-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #7 
newbie32

He had a spot on his gill. Kinda like a fuzz ball, but not really that fuzzy. Then I saw some other white specks on him. I treated him with Jungle Lifeguard. Two tablets for 5 days, no filter. Then changed about 1/3 of the water.

He has eaten for me. He ate some flakes when I first had him in the 1 gal bowl. I don't remember if he ever ate anything after I moved him to the 10 gal tank 1 week later.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I would get him in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank (attached so it doesn't sink or get knocked around by the filter) and start aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes with the aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for 10 days, maintain a water temp in the 76-77F range for now....if you have any tannins from either IAL or dried oak leaf this can help too.......

If you pre-mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the salt and tannins it will make correct dosage and water changes easier.......

Make sure the water temp of the treatment water and the QT water are within a couple of degrees between new and old to prevent temp shock problems by using a thermometer to check the temp.....
Old 04-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #9 
Thunderloon

White dots or spots or patches?

The gill edge area is a good anchor spot for not just ich but for other infections/infestations that look like it.

A picture of fishy would help even if you don't see anything on his surface.

Powering up then slamming down is a swim-bladder disorder/infection. I had a cambodian girl who once crushed hers on the filter intake (she fell asleep and the pull wrapped her around it) and she spent the next six months powering up then circling the tank gliding down.

Minimum treatment duration for Ich is ten days, use parasite clear for ich, not "ick clear" ("ich clear" is antifungal). If they have ich they may also have come home with other parasites. Intercepting ich requires that the tank be treated before they burst out of the tiny white bubbles and while they're free-swimming. Betta can get ich inside their labyrinth which can lead to non-visible parasite infestation.

Lifeguard cannot be used alone against parasites, it is very effective against anaerobic and external infections but isn't able to treat the fish's innards and uppards. Metronidazole and Acriflavine are the two you want to look for when dealing with parasites.

DO follow OFL's instructions at this point and get us a picture of him, looking for color and shape so it doesn't have to be a super picture.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #10 
newbie32

They were dots. And the one on the gill looked like a ball of white stuff that was just hanging off his gill. Kinda like a little fuzz ball one might find on a sweater. Below are two pictures I took last week. He was doing the same things then. The spots have all gone. They disappeared a day after I started my Lifeguard treatment. The only thing that has changed since then is his color is changing. He was turning kind red and almost faded to white at his belly. You might be able to see it in these pictures. He is still kind of red down there, but the white faded out area is almost gone. He gill area is now also a gold/green color. I guess He just changed color? I don't know. I just know that he isn't right.

OFL (or anyone who can answer)- do I have to get special aquarium salt? I can't use regular salt from home? And do they sell this at Wal-Mart by chance?
Attached Images