Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #1 
bamsuddenimpact

*Sigh* Oh boys, that is not what your tail is for.

So over the weekend, I went away, and one of my boys further chomped his tail and another started >_< the one who continued is now in a one gallon quarantine for a few days so i can aquarium salt him. He literally chewed like half of his tail... Oh Beau.
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #2 
Pekemom

Why are they doing that??? Tail too heavy or why?? Or don't we know...
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #3 
Silverfang

There are different theories, one is stress, one is boredom, another is that their tail is too heavy for them.
All I know is that you can do everything right, give them the best care, and they still might tail bite. My boy has chewed up his tail twice. First time was stress, no idea what triggered him the second time.
Alter his decor, add live plants, an air stone was suggested so he would have something else to keep his attention. Keep the inside and outside of his tank "updated". Different background, etc. Other than that you can treat to help prevent fin rot.
As a side note, this is not just something that happens to fish, this sort of.. mutilation is done by humans to themselves. I naturally assume this isn't related to why bettas tail bite, for humans it's a psychological condition. Sorry if I'm off on a tangent, when I saw it in my fish, I couldn't help but think of this.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #4 
bamsuddenimpact

Idk, they are veiltails. I think they may have been protesting me leaving them, although one started before I left haha
Old 04-18-2011, 12:24 AM   #5 
roadrunner

I was just wondering, could they be missing something in their diet? What do you feed them?
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:27 AM   #6 
bamsuddenimpact

I feed them aqueon betta pellets with the occasional blood worm treat.

EDIT: And, I have 3 bettas, all fed the same things and only two decided to chomp. haha
Old 04-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #7 
Lion Mom

I have a tail biter & he is driving me NUTS!!!! He is a blue super delta that I put in a 5 gal. tank when I first got him - he HATED it!!! That is where he started biting his tail. Moved him into a 3 gal. and he is much happier - active, looks good (except for the tail thing), eats well, etc. - but STILL chews on his tail. It seems NOTHING will stop it - live plants, salted water, non-salted water, heat, IAL - all to no avail!!! Grrrrrrr................
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #8 
bamsuddenimpact

Well, I have moved the second boy to quarantine, I was hoping fresh water would make him stop, but nope. So right now I have two boys downsized to bare except for their plants thermometer and heater 1 gallon kritter keepers with salted water. Hopefully they will stop and allow for regrowth. They look ridiculous with their stubs. Give me a few and I will post before and after. Lol
Old 04-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #10 
Lion Mom

Yup - that is pretty much what my Blue Brother looks like (in your after pics).

Posting a pic of him before, but not bothering with an after since it's the same fish except with a stubby tail. It's enough to DRIVE ya!!!!
Attached Images

Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote