Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2007, 03:32 PM   #1 
Zakura

Bettas in a jar?

I spent most of yesterday on bettatalk.com, reading about betta fish, as I suddenly have an interest in purchasing one as a pet. I don't have a lot of room in my room, where I'd be keeping it, but according to the site a betta fish could do well in a gallon jar as long as you didn't let food or plants rot in it, you changed the water regularly, etc.

The site also mentioned that you should always have a cover on whatever you house a betta in, as they jump. What I was wondering was, if I bought, say, a one gallon clear glass cookie jar (they had some at Target I thought would make good homes for a betta, though I could be wrong!), would keeping the lid on it so the betta doesn't jump out be a good idea? Or would it suffocate the poor little betta? I'm thinking of having the betta on my desk, so perhaps I could keep the lid off while I'm there so it can breathe and cover it while I'm out so it doesn't die on me?

What do you think? I just don't want to kill my future pet. :(
Zakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:25 PM   #2 
danni42683

I don't know what kind of cookie jar you were looking at or what kind of space you have but I have a HUGE cookie jar that I house my sugar in. It holds 15 pounds of sugar in it. I don't know how much water it would hold but I'm sure it would be alot. It has a lid on it but it is not tight. My neighbor had one in a big vase before adding him to her 55 gallon tank and it never had a lid on it. the fish never jumped out of the vase thing.

good luck!
danni42683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:33 PM   #3 
Zakura

Thanks for the reply!

The lid on these jars *looked* tight. I couldn't actually tell since the lid was taped to the jar, but it seemed like it was pretty snug. Probably it would be tight to keep the cookies that it's supposed to hold fresh. XD

When I had betta a long time ago (I was too young to take good care of it, unfortunately. >.<), I had him in a vase. I think that they can't jump out of them 'cause of the shape of the top of the vase. Vases are smaller than gallon cookie jars though, and I figured I'd give my betta as much room as I could afford him.

The jar is just a simple cylindrical shape. If I left the lid off, it probably wouldn't be too hard for a betta to jump out if he wanted to. But if the lid seals as well as I think it does, he might suffocate. What a dilemma. x_x

Thanks for the luck. I'm sure I'll need it! :D
Old 07-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #4 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakura
The lid on these jars *looked* tight. I couldn't actually tell since the lid was taped to the jar, but it seemed like it was pretty snug. Probably it would be tight to keep the cookies that it's supposed to hold fresh. XD
Mesh would be a better option.

Welcome to Fishforum.com, by the way.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #5 
Zakura

Ah yes. I didn't even think about mesh. I'd just need a little piece and could probably secure it with a rubber band or something. Then my fish will have air without being able to commit suicide by leaping from his jar.

Thank you for the answer and the welcome! I appreciate both!
Old 07-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #6 
Lupin

Bettas should be okay with that. They originated from places where oxygen is often depleted or insufficient. This doesn't mean however that the container where they are kept should be deprived of oxygen.

Partial water changes daily or every other day to keep the water clean is recommended.:)
Old 07-01-2007, 07:12 PM   #7 
Zakura

I'm sure I can handle that. Compared to other fish, Bettas seem rather low-maintenance.

What would you recommend that I use to make the water suitable for Bettas? I'm not sure what the word for it is, I just know you have to treat the water because tap water isn't healthy for fishies.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:17 PM   #8 
Lupin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakura
What would you recommend that I use to make the water suitable for Bettas? I'm not sure what the word for it is, I just know you have to treat the water because tap water isn't healthy for fishies.
Simply use the dechlorinator.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:19 PM   #9 
Zakura

Will do! Thanks for everything! :D
Old 07-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #10 
soco1125

have you checked out the "betta tanks"? i got mine at walmart or petsmart years ago for like $20 or so. it holds 2 gallons and came with a light, undergravel filter, air pump, and airstone. i've since tossed out the airstone and ug filter and replaced the incadescent bulb with a florescent so that i can grow plants in there. i also know that there is a 1 gallon kit available at target, though i'm not as fond of it. either of them will fit nicely on a desktop.

just thought i would throw this little idea into the air since in my experience, bettas don't seem to look too happy in jars or bowls. good luck :)
soco1125 is offline   Reply With Quote