Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2007, 07:43 PM   #11 
Zakura

Quote:
Originally Posted by soco1125
have you checked out the "betta tanks"? i got mine at walmart or petsmart years ago for like $20 or so. it holds 2 gallons and came with a light, undergravel filter, air pump, and airstone. i've since tossed out the airstone and ug filter and replaced the incadescent bulb with a florescent so that i can grow plants in there. i also know that there is a 1 gallon kit available at target, though i'm not as fond of it. either of them will fit nicely on a desktop.

just thought i would throw this little idea into the air since in my experience, bettas don't seem to look too happy in jars or bowls. good luck :)
I haven't even thought of those. As long as they are small enough, I'll be sure to consider using one of them. Anything to keep my Betta happy!

Thanks for the luck! I can sure use it!
Zakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #12 
MattD

Your Betta won't last long in a 1 gallon jar. Get him at least 3 or 4 gallons of space - he needs to spread his fins.

I know it's not my place to say but please don't tell me you can't afford it. 5 gallon tanks are like $10.00 at most. This will be all you need if you planned on keeping him in a Betta Bowl to begin with.

Good luck. 8)
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:33 PM   #13 
Falina

I agree with Matt really. I would say 5g minimum - 10g is best.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:18 PM   #14 
Zakura

I would love to get a 5 gallon (at least) tank. The problem isn't the cost rather than the space. I really would like to keep the Betta in my room, that way I can admire it and remember to feed it/change the water easier. The only place I have to put a tank, really, is on the top of a shelf. I'm not sure if it could support the weight of five gallons. I'd imagine it would also make water changes harder (I'm not quite sure how to properly clean a tank, I'm afraid. >.<).

I might be able to get a small, two-gallon or so tank. I know it's not five, but it might be a little better than a jar.

I really do want to take great care of my fish, don't get me wrong. I'm just not sure I *can* get a bigger tank. I will have to see how big a five gallon tank is, and if I have a place I can put it. On second thought, I wonder if my dresser might be able to have a fish tank on top...? Hm...

I will try my best to get at least a five gallon tank, and at the least get the biggest one I will be able to house. Thanks for the help, everyone. I really appreciate all the helpful advice you have all given me. :D
Old 07-04-2007, 09:24 PM   #15 
leifthebunny

If space is a concern, look at an Eclipse system, everything is basically in the tank. Some bettas are happier in the smaller space, but a 10-12g would be better.
leifthebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #16 
Zakura

The Eclipse Systems seem like they would be great! The six gallon tank would just fit on my shelves (granted my shelves could hold the weight of six gallons, I'll have to see). The twelve gallon could fit on top of my dresser, but it looks pretty expensive. I'll end up with the tank but won't be able to afford a Betta. XD

Would the filters in these tanks be a problem? I know Bettas don't really like the currents...

This may seem like a stupid question, but if you have a tank with the filter, how often would you have to change the water? Whether it be a partial change or a total change? I guess it'll probably depend on the size.

Thanks again for the help, everyone. You've all been so helpful!
Old 07-04-2007, 09:48 PM   #17 
leifthebunny

Both of my bettas are in planted tanks with other fish in 12g eclipse systems each. They are both happy in their environments.

Witht eh 12g eclipse, I stick the syphon in through the top and only vacuum half the substrate at a time (once a week) and only 2g. As both tanks are planted, I left the prefilter alone so the carbon is inactive. I find both bettas like the plants in the tanks.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:50 PM   #18 
Zakura

Thank you for the help, leif. I appreciate it. :D
Old 07-05-2007, 08:32 AM   #19 
leifthebunny

Best of luck with the betta. :)
Old 07-05-2007, 10:26 AM   #20 
Zakura

Thank you very much! :D