Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2011, 03:14 AM   #1 
Mybabiesarebettas

Need help :(

I didn't want to start a new thread until I had read over some things. After doing so, I still need help :/

Okay, so... my boyfriend and I are the parents of two bettas. One a female and the other male. We keep them in a split tank. We don't have a filter, but we do have the light, the plants, gravel under 1/4" high, we clean the tank twice a week and use water conditioner. But, I'm still getting really bad algae problems. They are in a 4 gal. split tank so basically they both have 2 gals each to themselves. Could them being in a tank together possibly be whats causing such a big algae problem?
Mybabiesarebettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:10 AM   #2 
SillyCone

Algae problem is usually related to nitrate levels and massive light/sunlight.

You can buy some anti-algae stuff at petstores if you want, but algae usually isn't related to a tank problem other than a visual thing.

Can you take a photo of your tank?
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

What sort of algae? Is it green or brown? fluffy or stringy? How much water are you changing out during water changes and what type of light and plants do you have?Are you dosing any fertilizers for the plants?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:08 AM   #4 
LeroyTheBetta

Conditions in your tank are nice for algae somehow.... so it's growing! Maybe too much light/on too long, so you may need to reduce the amount of time your lights are on, or close the blinds, or move the tank if it's in direct sunlight. Also, if you're overfeeding your fish, then eventually the products of the fishes' metabolism and leftover food will feed the plants. There are other possibilities, but these might be 2 of the more common ones to consider.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:04 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Warmth and light can cause algae to go nuts. You have to keep the water warm for the bettas, so maybe lowering the light? Usually it isn't a problem except for aesthetics. Just use a scrubber to clean it off the front panes and hope no one looks at the sides. :) Oh, just be sure to use a scrubber for your kind of tank (ie, glass or acrylic). The wrong kind will scratch up your tank and then you'll probably want the algae to cover the scratches up. :)

If it really bugs you, I dunno guys, can a snail fit in there somewhere?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #6 
Mybabiesarebettas

I'm so so so so sorry it took me so long to get back to all of your posts. But, thank you so much they were all very helpful. I was going to post a picture of the tank but my boyfriend had emptied it before I had gotten a chance to do so. But, in all honesty all of your posts and suggestions have helped me. Now and for the future.
Mybabiesarebettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Algae is normal and expected in a container of water that has light and nutrients and can be a sign of a healthy tank (depending on the type) and it can even make the tank look more natural, soften edges and provide microorganism for livestock to graze on, however, in a closed system- we the hobbyist have to keep it in control by manual removal along with the water changes...... with algae out-breaks often it is due to the tank out of balance-to control algae you need to find out-what kind of algae and the root cause...or it will be an on-going fight.....

If you have live plants-I do not recommend algae-cides or even without live plants for that matter.......they can be harmful to some fish and inverts as well as the environment......and they don't correct the root cause.....

In the divided unfiltered 4gal tank with 2 Bettas-how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, additives used, live plants-number and species and if you have live plants-tell us about your lights, watts, kelvin, age of bulbs, photoperiod, plant food-type/amount and when you add it in relation to water changes, what kind of algae, how fast does it come back after you remove it, any direct sunlight on the tank.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae control