Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #1 
Neil D

Question Tank Cleaning?

Kay, so I cleaned my fish tank today(10 gal) and decided to remove all the fish (6 tetras, betta), lest the siphon suck them up...So this all created quite a mess and stressed out the tetras (the betta couldnt care less). Is there a way to make this less stress-full? For me as well? How do u clean the tank?

Last thing: dont u agree this face is funny;?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
Kay, so I cleaned my fish tank today(10 gal) and decided to remove all the fish (6 tetras, betta), lest the siphon suck them up...So this all created quite a mess and stressed out the tetras (the betta couldnt care less). Is there a way to make this less stress-full? For me as well? How do u clean the tank?

Last thing: dont u agree this face is funny;?
That is my favorite forum face.

I usually leave everyone in my tank while i'm cleaning..I got a smaller syphon from petco and it is nice for getting around plants and such...I just make sure to move the syphon around slowly...so not to hit anyone on accident or anything.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #3 
Neil D

Buying isnt an option.... I guess ill remove decorations and leave the fish. theyll be scared, but itll be less stressful. Any more help would be appreciated.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #4 
bettafish15

I had to do a 100% water changes once on my 14g because I was changing stands, and catching the tetras (I had neons) was a PITA. Never again. Nevarrr. xD It took me half an hour to get them all, even in a couple inches of water, stressed the heck out of the poor things but they had to get out.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #5 
Neil D

Awww. We have cardinals. I think ill leave em in. 20% weekly is enough for a cycled, heated, filtered 10 gal right?
Old 04-16-2011, 01:07 AM   #6 
gbose

Neil,

I'd really suggest 50% water changes. Leave the fish in there, though. It's more stressful (for you and the fish) to try and get them out.

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:44 AM   #7 
LeroyTheBetta

I leave my fish in. Just keep an eye on where the suction is & make sure nobody gets squished when it's up next to the glass. I also keep my other hand on the end of the siphon, the part where the water empties into my bucket..... just have my finger ready to go over the end of the thing in case one of my neons gets too curious! Also, I try to keep the siphon end low down near the gravel and not "wave it around" in the tank so that I don't accidentally vacuum anyone up right out of mid "air". lol
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #8 
Neil D

Alright, thx! I'm not capable of doing 50% changes now, as I have one clean, "fish-only" bucket, which is two gallons.