Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2011, 05:21 AM   #1 
lilxsteffie

She STILL won't eat & she's getting worse =(

I don't know how many of you read my first post ("did i do something wrong")...but we've had our female betta, Sheila, for about 2 weeks now and she still hasn't eaten anything. She doesn't even show the slightest interest in food.

When we first brought her home she was pretty lethargic & spent A LOT of time at the bottom of the tank. After moving her into the 10 gallon tank w/Ravi (it's split in half by a divider), she perked up after a few days & began swimming around more. I thought this meant she was improving. A few of you responded saying that I shouldn't worry if she ate or not right away but it's been 2 weeks now & I am worried. It seems like something is wrong with her as well, she's back to being lethargic again & I believe her fins are clamped to her sides. She sits at the bottom of the tank, only swims up to the surface to breathe, doesn't eat or show interest in food & she spends the majority of the day hiding in her skull decoration. She doesn't seem to have any physical ailments (that I have noticed, I'll post pics so I can gather other opinions). She can control her swimming perfectly fine, doesn't float awkwardly to one side or the other so I doubt it's swim bladder disorder. I don't know what's wrong with her & I really want to prevent her from dying if possible!

lilxsteffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:27 AM   #2 
lilxsteffie

I forgot to mention that it always looks like she's hyperventilating because she has very rapid gill movement even when sitting at the bottom of the tank =(
Old 04-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #3 
Harley

I'm definitely not a fish doctor but I googled this info and found the following:

http://www.bettafishcenter.com/Betta...se-Table.shtml
or
http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/

Remember, don't use this as gospel. Post current pics as soon as you can. That may give other more experienced users some ideas. Good luck!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I would get her in QT and start aquarium salt 2tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days-maintain a water temp in the 76-77F range....get some fresh garlic and crush it and roll the food in the juice or even better....get some live mosquito larva and offer that to her......

On the 10gal that she is in-how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, type of food offered, how is the other Betta......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #5 
luluo

I'm sorry you are having trouble. I am new to bettas, but am wondering if you have tried live food or maybe frozen bloodworms. D'Argo goes crazy for frozen bloodworms.
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #6 
scootshoot

Poor baby she almost has the same exact coloration as the female in my avatar

Good luck with her...
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #7 
Dragonlady

If she has not eaten in 2 weeks, she is very sick. Although I usually don't use meds unless it is absolutely necessary, I would put her in a bare bottom tank, treat her with quick cure, and offer her live foods such as live brine shrimp or live blackworms. If there is another fish on the other side of the divider, that fish may need treated, too. I hope she gets well.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #8 
lilxsteffie

Thanks for the replies everyone! I already have her quarantined in a gallon bowl (since last night) & have started treating her with aquarium salt & hikari betta revive. I plan to do 100% water changes daily. I've tried feeding her frozen blood worms, betta bits (pellets) & betta flakes...she doesn't go for any of them. Oh and the pics are recent, I just took them last night before moving her into the quarantine bowl.

The 10 gallon tank she shares w/Ravi has a heater set to 80F so the water temp doesn't fluctuate more than 1-2 at any given time. I conditioned their water using nutrafin aqua plus before I put them in their new home. Filter is a tetra whisper for 2-10 gallon tanks. No other additives to the water. I check the pH & ammonia levels daily, pH is always around 7.2-7.4, ammonia levels are always under .25 ppm and the tank undergoes a 50% water change weekly. All the plants/decor inside the tank are made of plastic except for the substrate.

Ravi, on the other hand is doing amazingly well! His fin rot is completely gone, the points of his fins have started to grow back, & his colors have brightened up tremendously! He's always had a healthy appetite since we got him & he's not picky, he goes for everything (pellets, frozen blood worms, even the flakes). He loves to swim around & he blows LOTS and LOTS of bubbles! He seems really happy and healthy so I don't think whatever is affecting Sheila is contagious, but I'm keeping a close eye just in case. Here's a recent pic of Ravi (taken last night):

Hope to get more feedback from you all soon! Any & every lil bit of info/knowledge helps & is greatly appreciated!!!