Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #1 
Burd

Stupid/Retarded zebra danio or something wrong? o_O

I brought home 2 zebra danios last week to make a school of 6 that live in my 10g tank with my betta.

One of the 2 was a BIG female who looks gravid as all hell. She also seems to constantly be breathing/chewing. Otherwise, she seems perfectly healthy. She's been in my tank for about a week now. She schools, darts around, eats ridiculous amounts of food (she steals from everyone, including my betta).

I'm wondering if she's got something wrong with her or is she just stupid? :P
The rapid mouth motion is what concerns me most.

Water parameters are fine. Tank is filtered, heated, lit and has the ability to be aerated too but I don't keep that on but maybe every other day for a couple hours. It has several plants including a java fern and a few clumps of mondo grass. I want to plant more. Good idea, bad idea?
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #2 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burd View Post
I brought home 2 zebra danios last week to make a school of 6 that live in my 10g tank with my betta.

One of the 2 was a BIG female who looks gravid as all hell. She also seems to constantly be breathing/chewing. Otherwise, she seems perfectly healthy. She's been in my tank for about a week now. She schools, darts around, eats ridiculous amounts of food (she steals from everyone, including my betta).

I'm wondering if she's got something wrong with her or is she just stupid? :P
The rapid mouth motion is what concerns me most.

Water parameters are fine. Tank is filtered, heated, lit and has the ability to be aerated too but I don't keep that on but maybe every other day for a couple hours. It has several plants including a java fern and a few clumps of mondo grass. I want to plant more. Good idea, bad idea?
thats what they do but I wouldn't say their normal behavior is being "retarded"
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #3 
Burd

What's worried me since I got her is she is the only one in my tank whose mouth is constantly opening/closing, presumably meaning she's always breathing hard. Otherwise she seems perfectly fine. She even slimmed down over last night.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #4 
BlueHaven

I don't know if it's possible for fish, but maybe she has something like a fast metabolism?
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #5 
tsoto80

I was reading on one site that said Danios need more to eat than bettas because they are always on the move. Mine always have their mouths moving like that (more so after they eat). Yes I would say think of it like they have a high metabolism
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote