Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2011, 01:31 AM   #1 
guppiesformybabies

Thinking of a Betta - advice and experience welcome

Hi all,
I am thinking of purchasing a betta for my 10 gallon tank. It was originally supposed to be a nursery tank, but the fish keep having the babies before I can get to them and get them moved! Soooo, since I already have the tank up and cycling, I figured I'd fill 'er up! I had a big patch of artificial breeding grass in there and will be moving that to my 29 gallon for the guppies and mollies. I will need to fill that space up. I have a few questions; what kind of plants do bettas like? Tall? bushy? low? Names would be awesome. I have hard water, very hard in fact, will that be okay for my betta or should I purchase a softening agent for him/her? What kind of softener? What kind of tank mates would one suggest? My LFS (I'm learning the lingo here ) usually has a wide assortment of tetra, a few kinds of cories (julii - is the only one that pops in my head) Platys, plecos, bamboo shrimp, ghost shrimp, some catfish - just off the top of my head. Would any of those guys work? I dont want fights and injuries, but I dont want my new fishy friend to be lonely either. Would it be in the fish's best interest to introduce the tank mates BEFORE getting the betta? Or would the betta be the first fish I buy? I ask because I am told they can be quite territorial. If I have plants would my betta also like hiding decorations like caves? Or would that be more for the tank mates? The filter I have in the 10 gallon is a simple sponge filter, because it was originally supposed to be a fry tank, would this work for my betta? I have the tank adjacent to a window, for the natural sunlight - without being in the direct path of the sunlight, do bettas need any special kind of lighting? I also have some regular gravel in the tank, is that okay or would I need to get a different kind? Is there any special food requirements besides betta pellets? I read the profile on this site, but no information is as good as the stuff from people who have different experiences with all of these variables. Incase you cant tell, I am EXTREMELY new to the aquatic world and am having WAY too much fun with all of this. Any and all advice, warnings, or otherwise is greatly appreciated - I look forward to hearing from all of you.
guppiesformybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:06 AM   #2 
guppiesformybabies

Another thought popped in my head.... say I decided I wanted more than one betta, how would one go about constructing a mesh divider? Would it still be okay to add a few little fishy friends to the seperate parts? How many bettas could I comfortably house in a 10 gallon with/without other fish as tank mates? Ok I think I am done for now, I apologize if I am posting in the wrong forum, but there are just too many to choose one!
Old 04-08-2011, 05:05 AM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

Actually if your planning on getting multiple betta's there's many ways to devide the tank. I would recommend getting cories since they're pretty lax and really cute. Tetra's need to be in a school and if your dividing the tank I would only dividing the tank two ways for two betta's. The best plants you can get are Java Moss, Marimo (Moss) balls, and Lucky Bamboo (betta's LOVE sleeping on the leaves...Learned that one from my boy tonight.) For tank mates if you decide to divide it twice (Only two betta's with tank mates would be a good idea. Three is the most you can divide it up but I would recommend getting just the two if you want tank-mates.)

It's great your starting big tank wise but I would recommend reading the sticky in Betta Care called: "Your new betta: Day One." By Pewpewpew. It's full of great advice.

Also betta's love places to hide. I would get leaf hammocks so they can rest near the surface and have to do very little to get air. Caves are needed just as much for the betta as for the tank-mates. Make sure to test it with your own hand though. If you can't fit your thumb through the holes then your betta won't be able to either. An unused clean coffee cup would work as a great hiding spot for a betta. As well as the plants it'll provide a safe place for a betta to relax. Java moss you have to watch out for as betta's could get stuck in it. Dividing it is best and as long as it isn't too tall then it should be fine. I'm probably wrong on some points but I think your starting out great. Welcome to the forum and I hope you plan on posting pics of your boys (or girls.)
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #4 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppiesformybabies View Post
Hi all,
I am thinking of purchasing a betta for my 10 gallon tank. It was originally supposed to be a nursery tank, but the fish keep having the babies before I can get to them and get them moved! Soooo, since I already have the tank up and cycling, I figured I'd fill 'er up! I had a big patch of artificial breeding grass in there and will be moving that to my 29 gallon for the guppies and mollies. I will need to fill that space up. I have a few questions; what kind of plants do bettas like? Tall? bushy? low? They like most plants, but also plants with broad leaves they can rest on. And moss, mine rest on the moss. Names would be awesome. Anubias, anacharis, java ferns, java moss, amazon swords, etc. I have hard water, very hard in fact, will that be okay for my betta or should I purchase a softening agent for him/her? What kind of softener? It should be fine, so I would avoid any chemicals that change the hardness. Same goes for ph btw What kind of tank mates would one suggest? My LFS (I'm learning the lingo here ) usually has a wide assortment of tetra, a few kinds of cories (julii - is the only one that pops in my head) Platys, plecos, bamboo shrimp, ghost shrimp, some catfish - just off the top of my head. Would any of those guys work? Not the plecos, and I don't really recommend tetras because they can be nippy. I dont want fights and injuries, but I dont want my new fishy friend to be lonely either. Bettas don't get lonely, they are solitary and will do just find alone. They don't have a need for companionship. Would it be in the fish's best interest to introduce the tank mates BEFORE getting the betta? Or would the betta be the first fish I buy? Tanks mates first. I ask because I am told they can be quite territorial. If I have plants would my betta also like hiding decorations like caves? Or would that be more for the tank mates? Well if there is only one cave the betta could become aggressive over it, so I suggest a few caves/hidey spots. Also if you get the cories (which need sand btw) I suggest getting a floating betta log so he can have a place away from the bottom dwellers. The filter I have in the 10 gallon is a simple sponge filter, because it was originally supposed to be a fry tank, would this work for my betta? Yes, although the water change schedule will depend on whether the filter has developed the nitrogen cycle. If you get tank mates, I suggest upgrading the filter to something more equipped to handle the bioload. I have the tank adjacent to a window, for the natural sunlight - without being in the direct path of the sunlight, do bettas need any special kind of lighting? No. I also have some regular gravel in the tank, is that okay or would I need to get a different kind? Okay for bettas, but if you get any tank mates like cories you need to get something smoother/softer like sand. Is there any special food requirements besides betta pellets? Well for optimum health it is best to include a variation of foods in a betta's diet. Mine get two types of pellets, microworms, blackworms, frozen brine shrimp, frozen mysis and the occasional crushed snail. I read the profile on this site, but no information is as good as the stuff from people who have different experiences with all of these variables. I agree! Incase you cant tell, I am EXTREMELY new to the aquatic world and am having WAY too much fun with all of this. Any and all advice, warnings, or otherwise is greatly appreciated - I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppiesformybabies View Post
Another thought popped in my head.... say I decided I wanted more than one betta, how would one go about constructing a mesh divider? Would it still be okay to add a few little fishy friends to the seperate parts? No, if you want tank mates with a betta you need at least 10 gallons minimum. How many bettas could I comfortably house in a 10 gallon with/without other fish as tank mates? Three. Ok I think I am done for now, I apologize if I am posting in the wrong forum, but there are just too many to choose one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
Actually if your planning on getting multiple betta's there's many ways to devide the tank. I would recommend getting cories since they're pretty lax and really cute. Tetra's need to be in a school and if your dividing the tank I would only dividing the tank two ways for two betta's. The best plants you can get are Java Moss, Marimo (Moss) balls, and Lucky Bamboo (betta's LOVE sleeping on the leaves...Learned that one from my boy tonight.) For tank mates if you decide to divide it twice (Only two betta's with tank mates would be a good idea. Three is the most you can divide it up but I would recommend getting just the two if you want tank-mates.)

It's great your starting big tank wise but I would recommend reading the sticky in Betta Care called: "Your new betta: Day One." By Pewpewpew. It's full of great advice.

Also betta's love places to hide. I would get leaf hammocks so they can rest near the surface and have to do very little to get air. Caves are needed just as much for the betta as for the tank-mates. Make sure to test it with your own hand though. If you can't fit your thumb through the holes then your betta won't be able to either. An unused clean coffee cup would work as a great hiding spot for a betta. As well as the plants it'll provide a safe place for a betta to relax. Java moss you have to watch out for as betta's could get stuck in it. Dividing it is best and as long as it isn't too tall then it should be fine. I'm probably wrong on some points but I think your starting out great. Welcome to the forum and I hope you plan on posting pics of your boys (or girls.)
Remember bamboo isn't completely aquatic so if the leaves are submerged it will eventually die.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #5 
guppiesformybabies

Thanks to both of you for your input. I'm thinking since I considering more than one betta for my tank I'm going to skip the other fishies and just buy plants :) of course AFTER I posted this did I find the betta care sheet, and the like to DIY dividers, ah well, like I said I value personal experience! Oh, yes I definitely will post pictures:) I also found links to that aquabid website - Omg AMAZING fish! I wish I had the guts to buy one of them! There were just sooo many beautiful, breathtaking fish! We're still celebrating temps in the 40's here.... so, no mail order fish.... I do have that 1 gallon though.... Omg I think you all corrupted me already and I don't even have a betta yet!!! I have also learned that contains are my favorite, next to half moons.... so, possibly fish store tonight? If/when I do I will post a pic soon as my little water buddies are settled in :)
Old 04-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. We an't wait to see pics of your new betta(s). lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:08 AM   #7 
PewPewPew

I wanna seeeeeee D:< !! *demands*
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:15 AM   #8 
guppiesformybabies

i did post pics, under the betta pictures, its called my first pics :)