Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #1 
tracyalexa

some fish just not strong enough for 10 gal?

Drama doesn't seem strong enough for such a large tank. It's like he's struggling to go from bottom to top. I have a long 2.5 gal that I think might be better. Anyone else ever experience this?
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

My one guy Batman cannot handle big tanks..They stress him out bigtime..He just recently fell ill again after I tried to get him into a bigger tank. My other guy loves his big tank it took him a little while to get used to the 10 gallon though..He lived in a 2 gallon for 8 months. Do you have any tall plants he can rest on near the top?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #3 
tracyalexa

I have a live plant in there but I just moved it and him over. He already seems more calm. Now to decide which can handle the 10 gal. Hmmm
Old 04-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #4 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyalexa View Post
Drama doesn't seem strong enough for such a large tank. It's like he's struggling to go from bottom to top. I have a long 2.5 gal that I think might be better. Anyone else ever experience this?
They shouldn't be struggling… are you sure he isn't sick or has SBD? Maybe his fins are too heavy?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #5 
scootshoot

10 gallon tanks are not exactly deep in terms of water depth. If your fish looks to be struggling to get to the surface for air it could be signs of other "issues"
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #6 
luluo

Didn't he just get shipped to you? Maybe he needs a bit of time in a smaller tank to recover from the shipping. BTW, he is beautiful.
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #7 
tracyalexa

I think it was the shipping all the way from Thailand. Maybe? He seems much better in the smaller tank.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #8 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyalexa View Post
I think it was the shipping all the way from Thailand. Maybe? He seems much better in the smaller tank.
How did you acclimate him?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:35 AM   #9 
Harley

Question

Is it possible your betta is fighting against the current of the filter? I had to baffle my filter as Harley was swimming as hard as he could but couldn't fight the current. I was surprised he didn't tire out from moving his fins so hard Harley did take a while to adjust from his 1 gallon bowl to the 10 gallon tank (about 5 days) but he loves it now, much more room to wander.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #10 
tracyalexa

When he arrived I spent the 1st hour putting small amounts of water from the 10 gal into the cup he was in. I floated him for 8 hrs, while I was at work. When I came home I ckd water temp in cup vs 10 gal. Same. Did a few more 10 gal water to cup. So after a total if about 12 hrs, I put him in the 10 gal. He seemed overwhelmed. He is now in a heated, no filter,longer 2.5/3 gal with a live plant and areas to hide. He is the most timid of all the bettas I have. Seems healthy enough, just not especially outgoing or strong? He is eating.