Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #1 
hops523

Best Place to Purchase?

Hey everyone! So Ive been reacquainting myself with betta care lately(havent had a betta in years). And I've basically got everything I need, now I'm just in need of a betta :). I've been searching around aquabid and have found some incredible animals. I'd like to buy a nice halfmoon, but is aquabid and legit site to buy bettas? Can anyone suggest other places that sell bettas?
Thanks!
hops523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Aquabid is the best. You can check the feedback of the seller and get an idea of who is a good seller and who you should stay away from.

Hopdiggity and Martinismommy are in the US and have some really nice looking fish up right now. If your just looking for a pet Hopdiggity has some nice fish that are decent prices... if your thinking of picking up quality breeding stock Martinismommy can't be beat when it comes to multicolors.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #3 
hops523

Thanks for the reply. I just took a look at some of their bettas, and I definitely found some that I like, they look great. That's good to know I can check the sellers feedback.
Thanks again
Old 04-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #4 
Ethan

You, can also order from ebay( They are a bit overpriced at the moment) or aquabid like 1fish2fish said. I also highly recomend martinismommy & Hopdiggity

( BTW Hopdiggity has some awesome Cts' up right now & Matinismommy has a couple of nice boys up)
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #5 
LolaQuigs

What country do you live in? I think it's much easier (and cheaper) not to deal with transshippers on aquabid if it can be avoided, which is why I don't even look at Thai fish. There are some beauties for sure, but I don't want to fall in love with a fish that will cost me at least $20, plus at least $30 in shipping! I live in the U.S., so I try to only look at American breeders (like Hopdiggity and Martinismommy, for example). That's just me personally; if you fall in love with a fish from overseas don't let me discourage you, just know that you'll have to spend a lot of extra money for shipping a betta overseas. Also Thai fish need to be very carefully acclimated because the water is so different. But like I said, if you find an overseas fish you really love, and the breeder has good reviews, by all means get the fish you want! Just read up on how to acclimate a Thai fish first; there was a thread recently, I'm sure you can find it easily if you use the search feature.

You can also check your local Petcos...they get a nice variety of tail types (including HM) and you can get some really great fish there; just look around for one with good variety, and that seems to take good care of their fish. You can also try local fish stores and local pet shops, you never know what they'll carry! Some local shops can even special order certain tail types and/or colors, so it never hurts to ask.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #6 
RiverStoneBetta

Best place honestly, is a local well-kept fish store. Mosey around, look at all their fish. Clean tanks, good setups (compatable fish are kept together, aggressive fish kept by themselves, well filtered) and helpful friendly staff are signs of an awesome store. I would go with fish based in your own country off Aquabid next. There are a few good sellers (look for a seller with the username of Chard56. He has very good stock) Martinismommi, and others. Then see if there is anyone in your area that has excess fish that need new homes. This is a good way to get cheap or free fish of usually good quality. After that, head to a chain store, like PetCo.

The reason I put this last is because purchasing a betta from a chain store with deplorable conditions simply reinforces their lack of care. If you find a PetCo with bettas in good shape, let the manager know that you approve before you scoot out the door with your fish.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #7 
hops523

Wow thanks for all the advice, this site is great. I'm in the US, and yeah I'd rather not buy a thai fish, so I'll just stick to looking at the sellers from the US. I was actually planning on taking a trip to a couple local fish stores around here, I just remember the last time I was at a couple of them for my saltwater tank, I browsed around to see the bettas, and it seems like none of my local stores have the best selection.

I think the problem I'll run into with find bettas locally is that I already have a good idea of the color of the betta I want. Either an all black, all white, or a panda colored betta(sorry, not sure of the specific name for the colors). Not too sure how easy those colored bettas will be to find.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #8 
LolaQuigs

Hopdiggity has two panda halfmoon doubletails on aquabid if you're interested in HMDTs. But I have my eye on the first one so hands off! jk

Last edited by LolaQuigs; 04-16-2011 at 01:44 PM.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote