Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #1 
swhitt

Heater and plants

I had previously bought a mini 7.5 watt Hydor heater when Fishy was in a smaller bowl. Now that I moved Fishy into a 5 gallon tank, it does not keep a steady temperature and I was wondering what heater I should buy? I saw some 50 watt heaters at my local Walmart, but I wasn't sure how good they were and I wanted to get some opinions on what heater I should buy. I am looking for something that it not over-the-top expensive that will work great to keep the tank at a steady temperate without overheating him or freezing him. I am not entirely sure what wattage I am looking for, I was sort of going off of the boxes that say the gallon capacity.

Also, there are a couple pet stores in town that carry some aquatic plants. I am seriously thinking about starting to put some plants into the fish tank, but I do not know anything about aquatic plants and what kind of light bulb I would need to buy in order for them to live. I would really appreciate any and all advice or tips on plants.
swhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #2 
SomeDudeAtHome

At wal-mart I bought one of their cheap heaters and it's honestly one of the best ones I've ever used. It's preset to 75 which might be a little cold for your betta but it's a Tetra Submersible Heater. I've had it in both and 5 and 10 gal. and it's kept them at 75 perfectly. It says it's good for 2-15 but doesn't say the watts on it.

For plants try something like Anubius or javafern. They both need to be attached to driftwood, rocks or something else in the tank and not stuck in the gravel but they are pretty easy to care for since your just starting. Also you should probably by Seachems Comprehensive plant fertilizer no matter what plants you buy. For lighting get fluorescent bulbs with a 6500K (kelvin) rating since that's a good full range spectrum. Compact fluorescent work or if you go with tubes look for the T8 ones. I'd say no more than 2 watts per gallon, maybe even a little less because it could cause algae problems.

There's also plant profiles where the tropical fish profiles are at the top left with a lot of good information.
SomeDudeAtHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #3 
swhitt

Thank you:)

Thank you for your response! I almost bought one of those heaters the other day, but I didn't because I wasn't sure how well it would heat. I will definitely look for that type of bulb and fertilizer when I decide to start doing plants.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #4 
turtle10

I wouldn't buy that heater, 75 is too cold for bettas.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #5 
Grundylady

I have the Tetra HT10 heater. It is for 2-10 gallons (50 watt) and keeps both my 1.8 gal globe and the 6.6 gal Fluval Chi at 78. It is a great little heater and pretty inexpensive.
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #6 
swhitt

Awesome:)

I will definitely be looking into that heater. I was wanting to find a heater that would keep the fish tank between 78-80, so that would be perfect:)
Old 04-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #7 
Tisia

I have a couple of those preset tetra heaters in my 5 gallons right now, one of them stays at about 78-79, other one is more like 75-76, so they're rather iffy. fortunately my bf owed me some money, so I've now got 3 of these shipping to me :D they ended up averaging out to about $12 each with shipping for 3, think the tetra was $15 at wal mart, so 1 with shipping would end up about a dollar more and they're adjustable

Last edited by Tisia; 04-17-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote