Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #1 
Silverfang

My first attempt with live plants

Well, a plant, or many small ones
My poor Skuzi has a problem with tail biting, so OFL advised me to change things up, and try adding some live plants and feeding live food. Well I can't do live food, we still have temperatures ranging at near freezing at times, and the pet store didn't have any live fry. The upshot of it is, he gets to try frozen blood worms.
The girl I talked to was one of those rare actually knowledgeable people you've heard tell of. She was able to find me a free floating plant, answered my questions. And wouldn't let me leave the store till she found out I had a heater for him.
Anyways he thinks he's died and gone to food heaven.
Anyways, is this too much plants? just right? I only added about half of what there was.
pics! side view and top view!

Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #2 
SomeDudeAtHome

I think it looks great. Bettas love floating plants and it's like their natural habitat plus there's still room for him to come to the top for a breath.
SomeDudeAtHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #3 
DarkMoon17

Looks good to me, just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't rot. Do you know what kind of plants those are?
Happy Betta Keeping! :)
-DM17
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #4 
Silverfang

She told me, but in all my excitement I forgot. I think I'm happier than he is. I do know that there was some duckweed included, she might have said what it was, but I Think that's more of a hitch hiker plant.
My only concern now is that he's trying to get swim in them, hope he's just exploring, not trying to get caught >.>
Old 04-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #5 
DarkMoon17

Nice, bettas do love duckweed! And it grows fast. Don't worry to much, he's probably going to try to sleep in them. That's what mine always do. Since those large plants have root systems you can try planting a few of them in the gravel too to give him things to swim around :)
-DM17
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:34 AM   #6 
PewPewPew

That's not duck weed, only those tiny ones are :) Duck weed looks like tiny lily pads that float.

Those have roots, good ones, too, try burying it gently under the marbles. I cant remember what thats called, which is kiilllinngg me. Maybe itll come to me, blegh. I keep thinking wisteria with different leaves, but that doesnt seem right.

You can tether a few down using string so it looks like its buried, too, even though it wouldnt be. Pft, add it all in, might as well. Just not all at the top, so the fish can breathe easily.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:24 AM   #7 
SomeDudeAtHome

Looks like water sprite to me. I had duckweed in my betta tank but the filter managed to suck it all up somehow.
SomeDudeAtHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #8 
Lion Mom

I agree with Water Sprite. You can leave it floating OR plant it - I have it both ways. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #9 
Silverfang

unfortunately there isn't much room left on the bottom to plant i t, I'd have to remove his hidey hole to do that.
Aww, he's attacking random stems again. So cute.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #10 
Silverfang

after having it over a week, I've mad the unfortunate discovery the plant SHEDS bits of roots like crazy. Not to mention the roots are getting a ncie layer or green algae. Poor boy, he keeps trying to eat, the spitting out when he tastes the plant. Talk about your anti vegetarian : o