Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #11 
tracyalexa

I know very little but I know what I like. That white male is soooo beautiful!
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #12 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Thank you for the reply,
Of the two, I'd rather breed the opaque white female than the platinum male. So I guess I'll be looking for a different male. What kind of Caudal spread should I be looking for in the new male then? A prefect 180? I would like to get some OHMs in the bunch.
Thank you,
-DM17
Sorry but I don't really like the opaque female. Her body is too long, her spine is too straight/looks odd, her fins are not smooth and her dorsal needs improvement... But that's just me.

To answer your question, all you need is a HM without rose markings to create HM. If you want OHM, you do need them to have more base branching Or have wider webbing between rays but breeding roses is risky. I have no experience in making OHM so I can't really say how to go about it.

This is a possible genetic flaw you might end up with. And IME this is hard to erase.
Name:  Image032 - copy.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  18.6 KB
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:32 AM   #13 
DarkMoon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Sorry but I don't really like the opaque female. Her body is too long, her spine is too straight/looks odd, her fins are not smooth and her dorsal needs improvement... But that's just me.

To answer your question, all you need is a HM without rose markings to create HM. If you want OHM, you do need them to have more base branching Or have wider webbing between rays but breeding roses is risky. I have no experience in making OHM so I can't really say how to go about it.

This is a possible genetic flaw you might end up with. And IME this is hard to erase.
Attachment 27087
Agreed, I've decided to forgo breeding rosetails. It was a recent scheme and I assumed there wasn't much difference between breeding them and HMs. I wasn't aware that they carried such risk. I really wish I had found this forum prior to buying the opaque/platinum pair!

I had a DOA in the same shipment as the green and opaque pairs so I'm planning to buy 3 additional bettas to be shipped with the replacement from the breeder... I was originally planning to get a new opaque white male (w/out rosetail) and a black/red/white marble pair. If the opaque female is that undesirable should I be looking for a whole new pair? That would be really disappointing!
-DM17
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:29 AM   #14 
pdxBetta

I agree that the blue/green pair are beautiful fish, but I don't care for either of the whites, at least based on those photos. The male has a stubby body and overly full fins with many crooked rays, and the female has a very long body with poor form. Compare the shape of her body with your blue female.

The turquoise male is on the verge of "rosetail", but he's stunning.
pdxBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #15 
indjo
TFK Moderator

For breeding purposes, it would be safer if you got a whole new pair. If you want OHM, perhaps you could get at least one that has an OHM dorsal. That's if you're planning on getting new ones.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #16 
DarkMoon17

Hmmm, well there don't seem to be any females or males on ab that fit my new criteria so I guess I'll be waiting. Thank you all for the input though, up until now I've only really bred for color so help with conformation is greatly appreciated...
-DM17
Old 04-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #17 
DarkMoon17

Right, so I've been scouring AB for a new opaque pair. Due to timing concerns I will need to buy a pair soon if I plan to breed them this summer (college student). I am perfectly willing to wait until next summer if I can't find a nice pair, I don't want to rush into a bad pair again! Do any of these have breed-worth conformation/color? How's the female? Just want to know if I'm on the right track.

The last betta is for a different proposed spawning (didn't want to make a whole new post). I think he has great conformation but just wanted to check what you guys thought before bidding.
Thanks!

Old 04-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #18 
pdxBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Right, so I've been scouring AB for a new opaque pair. Due to timing concerns I will need to buy a pair soon if I plan to breed them this summer (college student). I am perfectly willing to wait until next summer if I can't find a nice pair, I don't want to rush into a bad pair again! Do any of these have breed-worth conformation/color? How's the female? Just want to know if I'm on the right track.
The female looks a lot better than the one you have, as do the males. However, the female has milky looking eyes, I believe that is possibly a side effect of the opaque gene, and should be avoided. I like the second male the best, but all three have positives and negatives.

Keep an eye on Aquabid, new fish show up every day.
pdxBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #19 
DarkMoon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxBetta View Post
The female looks a lot better than the one you have, as do the males. However, the female has milky looking eyes, I believe that is possibly a side effect of the opaque gene, and should be avoided. I like the second male the best, but all three have positives and negatives.

Keep an eye on Aquabid, new fish show up every day.
It's been very difficult to find females without a bit of eye clouding, but I'm still going to wait to see if I can find one. It is a fault according to IBC standards... Like you said, there are new fish on AB everyday.

I agree about the 2nd male, I think it's my favorite. Though its dorsal fin is lacking it has the best color.
-DM17