Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #11 
Littlebittyfish

I just made vegan pudding...

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....716#post650716

Last edited by Littlebittyfish; 04-17-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #12 
turtle10

OMG that loooks so good! I bet it would be amazing with strawberries!

My stomach growled right as I saw that picture lol, coincidence? I think not haha
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #13 
LolaQuigs

Littlebittyfish: That looks amazing! Did you say the recipe was over in the recipes thread? I think I'll go check that out; I love homemade pudding!

Turtle: unfortunately it's not just Jello but gelatin itself...which is in a surprising amount of things...marshmallows, gummy snacks, some yogurt....That's why, even though it can be a huge pain, I read ingredient labels on everything I buy; you never know what nasty stuff may be lurking in a seemingly innocuous food!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #14 
turtle10

OH okay so gelatin itself… I read labels already because I like to avoid high sugar and gelatin really is in everything.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #15 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
Littlebittyfish: That looks amazing! Did you say the recipe was over in the recipes thread? I think I'll go check that out; I love homemade pudding!

Turtle: unfortunately it's not just Jello but gelatin itself...which is in a surprising amount of things...marshmallows, gummy snacks, some yogurt....That's why, even though it can be a huge pain, I read ingredient labels on everything I buy; you never know what nasty stuff may be lurking in a seemingly innocuous food!
I found red bug coloring in some flavored water once...
I was like ew that is disgusting and I told my mom...she was like WHAT!?

And yep. I got the recipe from another user over on the recipe thread..I edited a link in.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #16 
Neil D

Look into Indian cuisine. It is bursting with flavor and is veggie. My mom is vegetarian. (We're Indian) I'm not vegetarian, but I don't eat beef, pork, etc. I only eat seafood and poultry.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #17 
LolaQuigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
I found red bug coloring in some flavored water once...
I was like ew that is disgusting and I told my mom...she was like WHAT!?

And yep. I got the recipe from another user over on the recipe thread..I edited a link in.
Thanks for the link!

Yeah, you have to be really careful with ingredients. The one I have a lot of problems with is rennet (not a problem for vegans as it is primarily used to make cheese)--it's an enzyme that comes from the lining of cow stomachs! Ew! There are a lot of things that are given names that hide how truly gross they are! Do you remember what the crushed up bug dye is listed as? I forgot. Oh and another thing. Bone char is used in the refining process of some processed cane sugars. As the bone char does not actually make it into the sugar at all, it is considered kosher and many vegetarians/vegans don't have a problem with it. But I thought I'd put it out there anyway. I always buy sugars that I know aren't made with bone char because they're not hard to find, so I figure, why not? Beet sugar, organic sugar, raw sugar (turbinado), artificial sweeteners, and cane syrup are all char-free. Beet sugar is exactly like cane sugar, so that is what I use (except in my tea, I use unrefined sugar in that). Crystal brand is cheap and available pretty much everywhere, so that's what I always go with.

Last edited by LolaQuigs; 04-17-2011 at 03:16 PM.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #18 
Pekemom

I think it would be hard for me to give up eating fish but I could try. Fish is a staple for me. It sounds like fish and eggs are not included in a true vegetarian lifestyle. Is that correct??

And why in the ever-luvin' world, would bone anything be in gelatin?? I don't get it...=((

This is disturbing..

Last edited by Pekemom; 04-17-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #19 
Neil D

My mom is a vegetarian, but she eats eggs, but no fish.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #20 
Nyjas16

I have been a vegetarian since I was 13. I cut out turkey and pig and got used to that for a couple weeks then I cut out chicken. Hamburger was the hardest because it was in so much stuff but I finally did it. I have thought about becoming vegan a few times and attempted it once but it was a big fail. haha
My fiance has become a vegetarian also, has been for 6 months. He just stopped eating it all together! He still gets major cravings for hot wings though but hes a veggie for life. =] Good Luck!

Oh and Poptarts have gelatin and some skittles, and candy corn you have to learn to read the lables of everythingggg. Some gum and mints also have it. People offer me food and I will not eat it unless I see whats in it first, just to be safe.

Last edited by Nyjas16; 04-17-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Nyjas16 is offline   Reply With Quote