Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #1 
Kaylin

*Squee!* Got my Betta Today!

*Squee!*

I'm very glad that I decided to get that Betta put on hold... but let me back up a moment or two so I can tell the story and not have you all confused.

I have been in the middle of refurbishing a 10 gallon tank in the hopes of getting a Betta for it. After reading here and various other sites, I made the decision to include live plants in the set up, as they were better for my potential Betta friend. There was more research involved, as I had to decide the best plants for my tank.
First there was a trip to Walmart, to pock up a thermometer, next was a trip to PetLand for a heater for my tank. Then que a trip to a PetLand (Chain pet store like PetSmart) about a week ago. I picked up some Java Moss and some driftwood. Three days after that, I purchased an Anubias which I attached to the driftwood I had purchased earlier. Since my cash flow was running low at that point, I had to wait until yesterday (Friday) before I could pick up some Amazon Swords as the last installments to my tank.

Friday just after 10 AM, I walked down to the Petland again. Normally when I am in Pet stores, I take a look at the Bettas they have, just to give myself an idea for what I might want to take home with me. This time was no different. As the Pet store employee was packaging up my plants, I was browsing over the little "Betta Jails" as I call them, when I saw him.

Most of the Bettas were either at the bottom of their bowls, one I saw was practically vertical and had a fuzzy growth that I know was either a fungus or a parasite (And for the record, I told the PetStore attendant, who removed him from the shelf right away). Through all the various blues and reds, I finally found the one that caught my eye the most. He'd built himself a considerable bubble nest at the top of his bowl, and was even more active than any of the Bettas to the left or right of him. His water was clear, his fins seemed unharmed, there were no growths of Ich, Velvet or any other outward signs of disease.

As I neared the bowl to get a closer look at him, his fins perked up. His body is a mid-tone to light blue, with touches of teal green towards the base of his tail and fins. When his fins opened more when I touched the bowl, I saw that the teal and blue were joined together with a pink hue. To me at least (And hopefully I can get pictures of him once the stress stripes have gone), he looks like the Northern Lights.

As the PetStore attendant handed me my bag of plants, I asked him if he could keep this little Betta on hold for me, just until the next day. I wanted the opportunity to look at other Pet stores to see if something else caught my eye. I am thankful that the Pet guy was able to set him aside for me, with a slip of paper under his bowl in the aquarium area marked "On Hold".
As a twist of fate, mind you, I returned home from work that evening to find that my tank had pond snails (hitch-hikers no doubt from one of the plants).

Saturday (today), I went out to attempt to get a few more items. I checked the stock of Bettas at three places, all of which could not match the one that I had set aside at PetLand. After picking up a tank ornament, some more SeaChem Prime for Betta, a Flourescent light for the plants and some frozen bloodworms as Betta treats for my new friend, it was decided that I would go pack to pick up the Betta I had set aside.
So after picking up some Betta food, and giving the other Bettas a once more good look, I asked the attendant to get the Betta that was on hold for me, as well as get me two Assassin Snails.

Now, after spending a half an hour getting my guy used to his new home, he's been swimming about, taking it all in, playing in the minor current even though the filter output is baffled with a sponge, and swimming about in the leaves of the Amazon Swords and the Anubias. I've given him a bloodworm to chew on as a treat, but plan to feed him a pellet or two tomorrow.

I'll get pictures of him soon to share with you guys.

...and his name? I've called him Borealis.

~Kaylin
Kaylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #2 
BlakbirdxGyarados

He sounds gorgeous!
Northern Lights? I really can't wait for those pictures now. :D

Also, welcome to the forum!
And welcome to Borealis!
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #3 
Kaylin

I've just noticed too, that his head is blue-black before fading into the mid-tone blue.
Colour me happy!
Pictures will come when he's a little more settled.
And thank you for the welcome.

~Kaylin
Old 04-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #4 
Pekemom

Welcome, Kaylin!! And congrats on your boy! He sounds so gorgeous - and I must say, 'Borealis' is a cute name, given the fact that he reminds you of the Northern Lights!

You've done such a great job of preparation -your new betta is a lucky lucky guy!! I enjoyed reading your story!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #5 
Kaylin

Thanks Pekemom!
He's still busy checking things out at the moment. I caught him snuggled up with the heater (Not on, but was also not impressed either), and trying to eat the bubbles forming at the sponge baffle. Silly boy.
Not sure that he liked the Betta Log though, so I've removed it for now. He likes his ornament well enough.

~Kaylin
Old 04-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #6 
tracyalexa

My betta log has had mixed reviews too. ;) he sounds beautiful.
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #7 
Kaylin

I woke up this morning and found that he'd made a HUGE bubble nest.

I take it that he's a happy boy.

~Kaylin
Old 04-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #8 
Silverfang

oooh, sounds like you've made a betta paradise, hope to see pics : D
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #9 
Kaylin

Hey folks!

So with Borealis' stress stripes gone, I figured to get a few pictures to share. I'll also be posting in the Betta Habitat section as well, on his home.

Rather than picspam with multiple large images, I'll provide links to the photos I took.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/Img_0872.jpg
Fishy's home. It's a planted 10 Gallon, with driftwood, and ornament and Assassin Snails and Pond Snails. The Pond Snails were unwelcome hitch-hikers on one of the plants. For plant info; I have Java Moss, Anubias (not sure which variety), and 3 Amazon Sword plants. They've all been given some SeaChem Flourish gravel tabs, and I have a 10W flourescent light for them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/Img_0875.jpg
The sizeable bubble nest I woke up to find this morning. I take it that my boy is a happy boy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/Img_0877.jpg
Meet Borealis! He always comes to say hello when I approach the tank, and he loves to swim through the Amazon Swords.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/borealis.jpg
And here's why you can see that I named him Borealis.

~Kaylin

Last edited by Kaylin; 04-17-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #10 
BlueHaven

Aww, he's pretty!
:D
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote