Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #1 
carzz

Hotel Splenden 'Design on a Dime'

That's right!!! :) If any of you read my post about hotel splenden, you'd know what it is. If you didn't, haha I'll show you!!!
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....+splenden+open
Anyway, I love my fish dearly, and I love this site! So many pictures!!
But yes, I realize my fish are in small bowls, and I'm okay with it.
But I have one bowl that is about 2 gal. and it's my largest bowl. And I have a hard time deciding whom to put in it. I love putting my males in it, it gives them lots of room. And I'd love to put all my ladies in there, but males are larger so they share it. Every time I clean fish bowls, they switch houses.... haha
Anyway, I was looking on another thread, and saw an idea I loved!!! A member had a ten gal, and it was divided into 3. I would love to do three of those tanks, and then one QT tank, that's 10 fish! I have ten fish!!! haha so it would have worked. I rushed to petco to buy the dividers and possibly the ten gal.
They had no dividers to fit the ten gal. So I was standing there, discussing it with my mom. They had a wide assortment of fish homes. Two which I really liked. One has a 'copycat' at walmart, but Walmarts is a gal. larger and cheaper!!! so I'm now going to do my research, find good deals. You know, is store or shipping cheaper? The tank is this color, will it look good with this fish? How much floor room will they have? yatti yatti yaya....
But I'm sure you've all been through this :)
haha
My goal? To spend the least amount of $$$ I have too, but I want them to each have a 2.5 the smallest. I'm really hoping 3 gal for each. But I have 5 male 5 female. So I want to put the females together... So maybe a 3 gal with two female. And one maybe 2.5 for one female...
I'm still working on it.
But I did hit Target and pick up some cute coffee mugs.. So I have 5 cups. I want them to each have their own cup.
And I want sand. I've seen the sand compared to rock and I love the difference!!! And my plantage? Oh my... it's kinda lacking right now.... I like clothe plants, not plastic, and not real. So I'm looking at HUGE and very expensive project. I know I will not be doing it all now..... My goal? To get get the tanks, then the stuff......... But I'm going to be checking eBay, and used sites first.....
Any suggestions? :) Nice ones are appreciated
I will post pictures along my way :)
Wish me luck!
AND!!! if anyone has a good quality 3 gal. they don't want, talk to me!!! :D I may want it if you don't make it holy hell expensive!
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:03 AM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

You can get 10 gallons off of Wal-Mart.com for 12.99 and they also have great 2 gals for only 25 dollars off of there too.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:05 AM   #3 
laughing

Personally, I troll thrift stores! I have a gallon quarunteen bowl I got from goodwill for $2! Today I saw a glass 2 gallon bowl for $4. I also see a lot of complete tanks. A week or two back I saw a kiddish 1 gallon tank with a top but no light or hood for $6. Im hoping I will strike lucky!

Right now im getting this 20 gallon tank kit (tank, filter, heater, lighted hood, etc) for $50 due to a sale and special mail in rebate.

The biggest thing i can say is don't just buy-research! There's ALWAYS a better deal out there!

Good luck!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

Check craigslist and thirft stores for used 10 gallon fish tanks...heck..you might even be able to find a 40 gallon LONG and be able to divide that up nicely. Petco and walmart sell the hood less tanks for about 12.99.

I used the DIY method to divide my tank. I used aquarium sealant to make them extra secure.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

I used thrifted coffee mugs as caves for my fish. They love to swim through the handles. haha

also..I use playsand..Cheap and it works lovely!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #5 
Ariel1719

Just a suggestion but why dont you get 1 ten gal for your males, and then 1 for your females but not dividing the females? You could do a sorority, save yourself some money on dividers and just focus on decorating. Thats probably what I would do if I had that first idea! :D
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #6 
artes

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

I found that linked yesterday. You can make your own dividers! After seeing that, I'm moving all of mine into divided 10 gallon tanks. Now I'm just imagining decorating ideas. *_*
artes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

Careful though..Not all fish do well in divided tanks. My one guy couldn't handle it.I had to get him his own 3 gallon critter keeper. If you plan on keeping them all separate you could buy a few critter keepers.They are pretty decently priced. I got my 3 gallon for 10 dollars. Sometimes you can pick them up at thrift stores and on sale at petstores.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote