Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #1 
Omboc

Old 5 Gallon

Recently, while cleaning through my father's workshop, I uncovered the fish tank from my childhood. A 5 gallon aquarium, that seemed so much larger as a child.

It still has the gravel in it, and has one arched stone. I was wondering what would have to be done to it, to be put to use again as a betta home, if at all possible. Naturally I would do the 24 hour water test, but is the gravel still usable, or should I buy a new bag?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Omboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:46 AM   #2 
CyerRyn

If I found an old tank like that, I'd personally just replace the gravel since it's fairly cheap anyway, but it could probably salvageable if you wash it in white vinegar and hot water a few times and make sure the vinegar is completely washed off. Is the aquarium glass? Might want to check for leaks too just in case. The wear and tear of age can really get the best of things.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:18 AM   #3 
Omboc

The aquarium is glass, and I think the 24 water test will expose leaks, hopefully!
Old 04-17-2011, 01:21 AM   #4 
CyerRyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omboc View Post
The aquarium is glass, and I think the 24 water test will expose leaks, hopefully!
Oh my apologies, I didn't know that's what that meant. :P I'm still new to this and I think my mistake on terminology kinda exposed that even more.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:25 AM   #5 
Omboc

Its all good. I hope some other people can weigh in though. I read somewhere that boiling gravel can sanitize it? Is that correct?
Old 04-17-2011, 01:26 AM   #6 
PewPewPew

Do the leak test, yeah..Id chuck that gravel, regardless. Its been so long, its probably got all manner of things within it, yech.
If it stands up to the leak test, wash out with vinegar and scrruuubbb scrub scrub!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

You might be able to reuse the gravel if you rinse it really well in a strainer..and then let it soak in hot water..I usually will heat the water up on the stove until it is just about to boil then I pour it into a separate bowl/tubberware container to sit in there and sterilize with the gravel..Sometimes I repeat this a few times...Really though gravel is only about 3 dollars..So it might not be worth the effort to save the gravel.
Does the filter work? If not Walmart sells a 10 dollar aquatech 5-10 filter. I have that filter and it works nice.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #8 
Omboc

Hmmmm. Well, I think this is going to turn into my Spring Break project, seeing as how I'm home alone all week. I think I might to go out tomorrow and look for a filter, and I'm chucking the gravel. Haha

I'll keep y'all posted. Pictures tomorrow? Maybe
Old 04-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #9 
Pekemom

Keep us posted - sounds like a great project! Have fun. You'll have a beautiful home for one lucky betta...
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #10 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omboc View Post
Its all good. I hope some other people can weigh in though. I read somewhere that boiling gravel can sanitize it? Is that correct?
NEVER boil any rocks or gravel. Not only can they explode and mess up the kitchen, but they can seriously injure you.

Again, never, ever, ever boil rocks or gravel or stones or whatever you want to call them.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote