Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2011, 01:04 AM   #1 
blacksheep72

Puck

First off, I have to say that I was fairly impressed with my local Petco's care of their bettas. That impression is fading fast. What I had seen were nice fish in clean containers. Now I'm seeing dirty containers and dead bettas.

Anyway...this guy has been at my local Petco for at least 2 weeks. I noticed him right away, but was trying to avoid ending up with bettas on every spare square inch of counter space, etc. You know how that is, right? So I've been checking this guy out the few times I've stopped in over the past couple weeks and there was just something about him. Yesterday, I was there to pick up a female for my sorority and noticed the lack of care that the bettas had been receiving. It's pretty bad when my little girls are counting the dead ones for me. Well, this guy was obviously still there, but I didn't get him. He was just hanging there in that cup, not quite lifeless looking, but he sure didn't look that well. I came home and decided I was going back to get him today. I can't save them all, but I was going to save him.

He's a delta and I guess you'd say he's a dragon, right? His upper lip does not line up with his lower lip when his mouth is closed which makes him look like he's puckering up for a kiss, hence the name "Puck". It's not terribly noticeable, but if you look for it you see it.

Once again, my photos are not too great. Scratched tank and dirty outside make for bad pics.

blacksheep72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #2 
tracyalexa

Wow, he is beautiful. I know what you mean, I feel like I can save them all.....umm no. Lol. But good for you, he's a beauty.
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #3 
Burd

I've a similar dilemma with a betta I saw at my petco a couple days ago but holy mother of bacon... that fish is gorgeous. Like he was touched by king midas or something. If I saw that fish in petco, there'd be no debate about it - he'd be coming home with me! And if his fins were blue or purple....klsjdfkljsdlfkjsldkfj

Congrats on the gorgeous boy. I am pretty jealous, actually.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #4 
PitGurl

The Petco in my town was the same way. One day I want and they had beautiful fish & clean cups, everyone seemed happy and healthy. Then I went back a couple weeks later and it was totally different. Dead bettas, dirty cups, it was terrible. I think I got lucky the first time and got there when they had just gotten in a shipment so everyone was still new. Your betta is beautiful!
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #5 
blacksheep72

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyalexa View Post
Wow, he is beautiful. I know what you mean, I feel like I can save them all.....umm no. Lol. But good for you, he's a beauty.
Thanks. I like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burd View Post
I've a similar dilemma with a betta I saw at my petco a couple days ago but holy mother of bacon... that fish is gorgeous. Like he was touched by king midas or something. If I saw that fish in petco, there'd be no debate about it - he'd be coming home with me! And if his fins were blue or purple....klsjdfkljsdlfkjsldkfj

Congrats on the gorgeous boy. I am pretty jealous, actually.
Thanks. It doesn't really show in the pics, but his main body color is a shimmery minty green. Looks gold in those photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitGurl View Post
The Petco in my town was the same way. One day I want and they had beautiful fish & clean cups, everyone seemed happy and healthy. Then I went back a couple weeks later and it was totally different. Dead bettas, dirty cups, it was terrible. I think I got lucky the first time and got there when they had just gotten in a shipment so everyone was still new. Your betta is beautiful!
I'm starting to think that's the same situation here. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #6 
FuulieQ

That's sad... makes me feel glad my LFS takes good care of their fish. :( He's really cute, though. Actually, my Robert's face looks a little like his. :)
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #7 
blacksheep72

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post
That's sad... makes me feel glad my LFS takes good care of their fish. :( He's really cute, though. Actually, my Robert's face looks a little like his. :)
I'll keep going in there, since they're the only game in town. If the betta care doesn't improve, I will have to say or do something.