Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2011, 05:03 AM   #1 
AkiGari

Exclamation Need advice on Accidental spawning

So, my betta fish were under siege by my cat Errai's latest friday hostilities. I nearly lost one of my rescued females (on April 1, 2011). And, I still can't understand how Errai managed to overturn the ENTIRE wide based bowl (April 15, 2011).

Anyway; to temporarily solve the problem till next month or week, I got a tub big enough for them to swim to the bottom. Unfortunately- I couldn't keep the two females together because of fighting. And, I put the Male placket in with the female (unknown). Today, since coming home with the tub... I have bubble nest, & spawned fishes.
I haven't even had these fish for an entire 2 weeks!!! WTH. The male i purchased/rescued because i felt bad for his rotting condition at petco when my cat and I went to pick up the Litter Quitter after her last pooping bout to get even with me (friday the 8th).
Anyway, I didn't even think this was possible because the fishes were in such terrible appearances! I was however feeding them Hikari Tropcal Betta Bio Gold and they ate 1.5 tiny blocks of bloodworms in past 3 weeks. Nothing that would be conditioning. And, nothing special in the water.

So now what do I do. Aside from taking poor phone photos to post to this later? I'm open to tank suggestions. It's Hawaii here. I have no experience raising fish from fry. I put all of the bettas' plants (live plants) in the tub with the fry. The females are back to smaller bowls. I have a couple days to decide what's best.

I've got the bananna leaf in water out on my lanai to get full sun and start making microorganism food. I have blue green alge. I think that will be the best I can do aside from mashing up food into fine powder.

Open to advice.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 04-17-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: misspelling
AkiGari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #2 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiGari View Post
So, my betta fish were under siege by my cat Errai's latest friday hostilities. I nearly lost one of my rescued females (on April 1, 2011). And, I still can't understand how Errai managed to overturn the ENTIRE wide based bowl (April 15, 2011).

Anyway; to temporarily solve the problem till next month or week, I got a tub big enough for them to swim to the bottom. Unfortunately- I couldn't keep the two females together because of fighting. And, I put the Male placket in with the female (unknown). Today, since coming home with the tub... I have bubble nest, & spawned fishes.
I haven't even had these fish for an entire 2 weeks!!! WTH. The male i purchased/rescued because i felt bad for his rotting condition at petco when my cat and I went to pick up the Litter Quitter after her last pooping bout to get even with me (friday the 8th).
Anyway, I didn't even think this was possible because the fishes were in such terrible appearances! I was however feeding them Hikari Tropcal Betta Bio Gold and they ate 1.5 tiny blocks of bloodworms in past 3 weeks. Nothing that would be conditioning. And, nothing special in the water.

So now what do I do. Aside from taking poor phone photos to post to this later? I'm open to tank suggestions. It's Hawaii here. I have no experience raising fish from fry. I put all of the bettas' plants (live plants) in the tub with the fry. The females are back to smaller bowls. I have a couple days to decide what's best.

I've got the bananna leaf in water out on my lanai to get full sun and start making microorganism food. I have blue green alge. I think that will be the best I can do aside from mashing up food into fine powder.

Open to advice.
Why did you put them together? Anytime you put males and females together you either risk death or fry.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #3 
AkiGari

Talking Sweet docile fish

1. I thought they had to be conditioned to breed. I didn't do such a thing.
2. The male is a docile PK
3. The 1st introduction the male had to the 2 females resulted in the females cleaning the male then in bad shape from Petco.
4. I was told that PK can live together, unlike other Bettas as long as only 1 male is there.
5. The only aggressive betta I have happens to be a female and she flares more at both female and male betta I have.
6. My main concern was keeping the fish out of harm's way from my kitten. Kitten is super smart and opened a cabinet to get to fish. This was a bit extreme and I had to find a fast solution.

I am taking care of the fish. None of them died. And, I'm working on securing homes for them with local kids.

I think it's the betta community at large that needs to publish things that say that it's easy for Betta to breed, SO Easy that you don't need anything special to do it with. So be careful.
^ that's something I didn't read anywhere when I got the 1st two Betta.

Last edited by AkiGari; 04-17-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

What about putting the fish in a room with the door closed so the cat can't get in there?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #5 
AkiGari

Well, its too late^ and thanks to this site & my own intuition/logic and another plakat site that has more info about the banana plant, I now have over 60 betta fry swimming in a tank. One of my friends also offered to bring ver a 35gal for me to bring them up, and then I already have some friends who will take fish for their kids, as well as person with the big tank. My cat is a bengal/jungala adoptee, I may wind up giving away my fish as well. She went with me to the fish store today and once out of the bag at the counter, jumped at a poster of fish on the side of the fish food freezer. So, I may not keep the fish at all, her obsession overrides her smarts. She dives at the tank too. I would rather take her out to look at tanks of fish than manage it at home.

Day 2: I put a few teaspoons of saltwater mixture in the tank (I followed some recipie for a salt dip and only took tsp. of the dip;- not trusting, I just went by the ppm of the dissolved salt in water and took tsp of that for measure. I did not put salt directly in tank. I then treated the female with the same diluted mixture in her tank for about 12 hrs . Also, In addition to alot of live plants in the fry tank, I added some pieces of the species of Banana tree that I have (small pieces) dried and live to the tank. A live strip about 1/2inch wide by 5 inches long for infusoria. And, I added a weak dried banana leaf tea mixture to the tank while male was still in tank. He made a better bubble nest about 10 hours after the addition. And, I included about 6 heaping teaspoons of live banana tree root dirt in the tank. There's really nothing "rotting" in the tank at this point and the Ph I diluted with a little more fresh H20.

Day 3: I started seeing the most microscopic fry darting around the tank close to the new bubble nest. I didn't add anything to the tank.

So, Yesterday was day 6 after the spawn.

Day 3: since I didn't know if fry were hatching or hatched, After reading site on fish food, I included dirt, yes dirt from the live dwarf apple banana tree I have. Until Day 6,yesterday morning, I could see the growing fry swimming to the bottom of the tank to feed on the microworms.

Day 4: I removed the Male Betta who had had 2 feeding frenzy's on the fry eggs. He didn't want to go and started eating before I got him out of the tank.
He had moved the bubble nest 2x.

Day 5: just a couple teaspoons of banana tree root dirt in the Fry tank.

Day 6: Just a morning teaspoon of Later yesterday I was able to get some First Bites and baby brine shrimp. The fry seem to like the First Bites. I did a headcount of the fry, best I could, and there are over 60 (could be up to 100 fry) but I don't expect more than 100. Hard to tell though.

I was told by some ex betta breeders here that I'll be lucky if 10% of these fry live to adulthood. And, I'm using a Hawaiian Dwarf apple banana tree. I got it though because it reminded me of the trees I saw in Thailand when I stayed there on Koh Chang. My cat loves that tree!
Old 04-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #6 
AkiGari

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
What about putting the fish in a room with the door closed so the cat can't get in there?
Just to note: the bowl that was overturned was in a room that she shouldn't have been able to get into. That was the problem when I woke to a loud crashing sound. She was on the table with the bowl and had managed to push over the entire bowl (1gal).

Thanks for the concern. I haven't even made it through the month yet with the new fish and the cat.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #7 
AkiGari

During this endeavor to keep my kitten (part ACL) content with natural waters. Yes, just for dirty fish water for her to drink. This forum as well as PlakatThai.com are the most intriguing reading I have found on bettas.

Thanks to everyone for their time an sharing.
going on week 2 since the appearance of the bubble nest & spawn.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #8 
JKfish

>.< Firstly, you never, ever, ever put bettas together, no matter how docile they are. A betta is a betta, tail type doesn't matter.

You need to start doing water changes (keep an eye out for sucking out fry), and you'll need more foods like live microworms, or vinegar eels, etc. If necessary, you could even feed them a teeeny tiny piece (like the size of a grain of rice) of boiled egg yolk dissolved into the water.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

From what I've heard about Bengals, they've got a little wild streak in them. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #10 
AkiGari

Question

These are a couple of low res. photos of rescued from pill jar that was unlabeled at LFS female, aka Aki Gari. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me their best guess as to what type of female she is. The male she spawned with is a HMPK. I tried to get a shot of the fins in back. Will appreciate any insight.
Attached Images