Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2011, 06:55 AM   #1 
BlackberryBetta

2 quick questions....

Okay so here is my first question, I just brought home a new betta yesterday. He is pretty small but not that small. Probably the size of my female if not bigger. He settled in right away but when I went to feed him, he spit out the pellet. I tried it again and he spit it out again. I feed Aqueon Betta Food, but I have freeze dried blood worms and flakes. I'm not sure why he won't eat them. They don't really seem too big. His mouth actually seems a little deformed, but I don't think it is enough to affect him. What should I do?

Here is my second question, I set up a brand new tank with brand new rocks and filter and everything about uhhhh, 4ish weeks ago. There has been swordtails in there the whole time. When I first set it up, the water was crystal clear but the next day it got cloudy so I put in some water clearing stuff. It has worked for me before so I tried it. Well it didn't work so the bottle said add more every 24h until it clears up. I found that a little too much so I just added another dose the next day. Well every few days to a week or so I have been adding the water clear stuff and nothing is happening! The tank is just getting cloudier and cloudier! I was doing about 2 1/2 inch water changes every 3 days for the ph and still nothing helped! What do I do? Do water changes affect the cycle? My aquarium JUST cycled!

Thanks in advance guys!
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #2 
Neil D

Often times, for a new tank, it will get cloudy for a little while, maybe a day, might be a week, not sure. When we set up my tank, it was cloudy for about two days. We didn't have a fish, but I fed an empty tank, with fish food. We got the fish after the water parameters settled down. Stop adding the clear stuff and see if it goes away on it's own.

My betta does the same thing on occasion. He eats it, spits it out then eats it. I feed tetracolor sinking pellets. He seems to enjoy them
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:57 AM   #3 
tracyalexa

One of mine does the same thing. I crush 2 pellets for him and it works out fine. If he's just settling in though, he may not be wanting to eat yet.
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #4 
BlackberryBetta

OKay question 1 solved, he just didn't feel like eating, now he's fine. Question 2,the water hasn't been cloudy for a few days, it has been cloudy for like a month! So I dunno....
Old 04-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #5 
Neil D

Take all ur gravel and fish out and put both of them in water. Change all the water (you won't be completely restarting the cycle) and redo the tank. The gravel and filter both have the beneficial bacteria in them, so it shouldn't too much time to cycle, if the tank gets cloudy, DON'T ADD THE CLEARING STUFF! Just see if it clears up on it own. That's what I would do.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #6 
BlackberryBetta

Whats wrong with the clearing stuff anyways?
Old 04-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #7 
Neil D

Nothing, the difference is that you used it, and you got the foggy thing, I didn't, and it went away. (I don't even own the clearing stuf!)
Old 04-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #8 
BlackberryBetta

I don't think it was the clearing stuff that made it foggy. And I can't really do a water change and wait for the bacteria to form again. I have a betta, 5 neon tetras and 2 swordtails in there and I have no where to keep them. I have waited for about 3 months now for things to settle down with my fish tank and it finally cycled. I am okay with a little foggyness. Does it affect the fish at all?
Old 04-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #9 
Neil D

I don't know. Maybe it's a bacteria bloom. See if there's too much light.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #10 
BlackberryBetta

Well there might be....It's not in direct sunlight but my room in pretty sunny. My LED light is on quite a bit..not sure if that affects anything?