Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #1 
ITL

[over the fence]5 Betta in a tank

Ok.

Here it is.

I forgot what movie it was from, but a kungfu/karate trainee told the other,
"Our sensai (master) told us not to jump over the wall to see other side of the world...It's bad.....bad...and ugly out there...full of evil kinds..."

I did it, folk.

I've researched on Betta for days..if not weeks..and I've seen "DO NOT EVER PUT 2 Bettas in a same tank" repeatedly in BOLD letter left and right..up and down...

In a 6.6 gallon tank, Fluval Chi, I have 4 females and 1 male living "happily".....(quote happily...because it's subjective)

They play very well....the way Molly or guppies play with each other kind of way...They go face to face..kind of like they are about to kiss...chasing each other for 2 seconds...swim together....sleep next to each other...

I started with a male....added 2 females as an experiment...(I prepared another tank in case they do not get along)....add another female....and another....total of 5 now...and it's been WEEKS without any incidents of "ONE MUST DIE....or SHALL BE THE ONLY ONE UNDER THE SKY" kind.

It's pretty site to see various colored betta in a tank.

Should I try to add another male to see how they interact?
(I have another tank in case they do not get along)
Please no "I read not to" or "that's what she said"

Thanks
ITL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #2 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Uhhhhh, I don't think it's a good idea to have two males in one tank. Especially if that male hasn't lived in a peaceful sorority (as weird as that sounds in this situation) before. He'd likely be aggressive towards the other male in the tank.

Considering they're getting along fine, which is really weird but cool, I say keep it at that. There's only so far you can go in an experiment.

And be aware of possible spawns. >__>
Hopefully that won't happen.

I also want to add that 6.6 gallons is crowded for those 5 you have in there. So you really don't want to add another betta.
Upgrade to a 10 gallon when you can.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #3 
bettafreak33

I'm not an expert at keeping bettas together(females(like 5 to 8) can be housed together in a ten or more gallon IF they get along)But I'm 99.99999 % sure males CANNOT be housed together.:)
bettafreak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Only females can be housed together, even then sometimes it does not work out. Males and females should not mix. Males and males should not mix. It's a fact. Just because you think they're getting along now, does not mean you wont wake up one morning to a dead betta. Not to mention, 6.6 gallons is too small to have that many bettas ANYWAY.

Move your male to it's OWN tank.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

I wouldn't add another male betta.Your tank would be overstocked quite a bit.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #6 
denaliwind

I'm not even sure where to begin... >.>

1. Males and females should not live together, especially in a tank as small as that. I understand you think they're "happy," but there's a good chance they are stressed and you aren't experienced enough to understand the warning signs. Of course, there are always expceptions to the rules, I've seen vidoes of lions taking care of gazelles, but this doesn't mean they should be kept together.

2. Your tank is over crowded, upping water changes won't solve that either, they just need more space.

3. Do not house the males together, end of story.

Um... welcome to the forum? :P
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #7 
scootshoot

pics?
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #8 
ITL

Here's a crappy pic :)

My definition of happy fish is 1. eating well 2. playing well 3. no nipping

What is your definition?
Of course, i am aware that fishes are stressed out already being in artificially made habitat for and by us, human, to please our eyes.

They've been together for week"s" without killing each other...
Yes, I never know...SOMEDAY when I wake up in the morning, I might see a dead betta....but that's with any other fish, correct? You are suggesting that I should "jail" male betta in a jar alone after weeks of spending time with sororities? Do you think he'll be happier?

They (both male and females) seem happier than any betta in a jar....or a big tank alone....(once again, subjective).....it's funny to see my smallest female betta following (not chasing) male betta like he's her father...

Yes, I just joined this community. Thanks for the welcoming :)
Attached Images

ITL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #9 
Luimeril

most bettas are happier being alone, rather than in a tank surrounded by other bettas. most of my females, were in small sororities while at the pet store, and now, they live alone, and are happier. they get excited when they see me, wiggling up, and my darker girl even gives me the 'breeding bars'.

your male, won't miss the added stress of being in such close quarters with other bettas. he'll be alot happier, because he doesn't have the females doing what they want in what he sees as 'his' territory.

could you get a video? that'll show us, how they react to each other, alot better than a video can.

now, we all understand that each betta is different, and they *may* be able to live happily together, but we just want to make sure you're not mistaking signs that they're stressed, or being aggressive, as happiness.

and, we, as betta lovers, try to mimic what they'd have in the wild, as best we can. we do that, by giving them the biggest tanks we can afford, and giving them lots of plants and caves to hide in. our bettas are, by no means, stressed, and we can tell that by watching how they act, how well they eat, how well they interact with us. we learn how to pick out a sick, unhappy fish from a healthy, happy fish, and can tell when our own fish aren't feeling well, by the tiniest of signs. so, to say that fish aren't happy and are stressed by being in tanks, isn't that nice to say.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #10 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITL View Post
Yes, I just joined this community. Thanks for the welcoming :)
Welcome to the board! Agreed, there are always exceptions to the rule.

A video of your fishes interacting would be awesome to watch! (hint hint)
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote