Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #1 
phoenix91

Worried about my new girl.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes, but it's off right now as the current is too strong. will be getting a sponge to baffle it either today or tomorrow.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? she was fed 2 pellets this morning but that's all so far as i only got her two days ago.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? i did a 50% change yesterday before she was added to the tank.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%, the tank is cycling so 50% twice a week while keeping an eye on the parameters.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? i have a water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: between 0-0.25, towards the lower end so closer to 0.
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: my water here is quite hard so the ph is slightly high, 7.4. my other fish is in the same water and does fine. i do have a ph decrease liquid but was told that even if i altered the ph it would creep back up.
Hardness: didn't test.
Alkalinity: didn't test

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? well she did colour up slightly since i got her home. plus she's developed more black spots on her sides and i'm not sure if that's her natural colour or something else. Also, yesterday she was opening out her fins and swimming around, today her fins seem either clamped, well more so than the last few days.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She's very sluggish and is just drifting around the tank. yesterday she was full of energy and exploring, now she's become a little obsessed with the thermometer and is floating by it like it's her saviour.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this afternoon.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? just got her so i don't really know.
How old is your fish (approximately)? she's very tiny so i'm guessing she's not very old.

Name:  DSCF2217.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  DSCF2221.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  141.0 KB

I hope i'm just being overly cautious asking for help.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #2 
turtle10

I think she is just adjusting. Every thing seems absolutely fine, including the ph. My ph is at about 7.8
turtle10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #3 
phoenix91

I hope so. I checked again today and the parameters look good, the new heater is even keeping the tank at a god temp. i added a baffle tot eh filter and it's on and going now.

She's spent a lot of today on the bottom of the tank; earlier i had a tiny panic and was pretty much ready to go in there with the cup and get her out, she looked like she was struggling and i didn't want her to drown. As soon as i lifted the lid she wiggled and slowly started to swim around. She's scaring me way worse than my male has.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #4 
Kaylin

Just from looking at your thermometer in the last picture, you need to increase the temperature in your tank to at least 80 degrees. That's probably why she's hanging around the bottom of the tank.

~Kaylin
Kaylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #5 
phoenix91

That photo was taken maybe minutes after i added that thermometer to that side of the tank. i have 2 in, one next to the filter and heater and one on the other side farthest away from the heater to make sure the heater is correct. I don't much trust heaters to be spot on what i set them. It's up at 80.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #6 
vaygirl

That is set to 80 in the pic. I have the same thermometer. The long line under 80 is the 80 indicator.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #7 
Kaylin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
That is set to 80 in the pic. I have the same thermometer. The long line under 80 is the 80 indicator.
I also have the same therometer, and the mercury indicator is around 76 degrees from what I can tell from the picture, which the OP has explained that it was taken right after a water change.

So no worries. If the thermometer is at 80, then it's all good. 76 degrees is way too cold. Brr!

~Kaylin
Kaylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #8 
vaygirl

Oh yeah, now I see it. Old lady without her glasses on syndrome. :P Sorry!
Old 04-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #9 
phoenix91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylin View Post
I also have the same therometer, and the mercury indicator is around 76 degrees from what I can tell from the picture, which the OP has explained that it was taken right after a water change.

So no worries. If the thermometer is at 80, then it's all good. 76 degrees is way too cold. Brr!

~Kaylin
i agree 76 is too cold. she's in the cycling 5 gallon beacuse i couldn't get her QT bowl up to temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
Oh yeah, now I see it. Old lady without her glasses on syndrome. :P Sorry!
no worries. i shouldn't have put a misleading pic in when i was asking questions.

i notice you have a dwarf puffer, i was looking into these the other day. I'm longing for a bigger tank and was looking at different types of fish i could potentially have.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #10 
vaygirl

Puffers need to be alone, like bettas but they are awesome lil fish. Mine is terribly skittish, but they're not all like that. Even in his skittish-ness, he eats worms straight from tweezers, which even my husband admits is terribly cute. :)