Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #21 
Neil D

Yeah, but money can seperate it. (ie caste system in many countries)
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #22 
JKfish

In my opinion, so long as you were polite and sounded well informed, you were perfectly in the right to do so. I do it all the time.... I've gone as far as to interrupt an employee as he was trying to sell a betta in a 1/2 gallon tank along with a non-aquatic live plant, and plant tabs. I politely told the lady that he was incorrect, and showed her the real aquatic plants, before suggesting she get a larger tank. To say the least, I'm not well liked at my local petsmart, though I honestly do try to be polite and well mannered when I correct the employees.

Neil D: actually, the caste system is only in india/hinduism. Social classes are world wide, so they are probably what you were thinking of.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #23 
xxcaveat

Granted, but many pet stores may refuse to take proper care of their animals (land hermit crabs for instance - allowing the correct amount of substrate), because it may impede sales. So while money may not buy love, it does make the world go 'round.
xxcaveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #24 
beta novice

The customer is always right
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #25 
Gizmothefreaky

I guess i am lucky because my fish salesman at the store i buy my fish from used to breed bettas. XD
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #26 
beta novice

lucky
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #27 
Neil D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
In my opinion, so long as you were polite and sounded well informed, you were perfectly in the right to do so. I do it all the time.... I've gone as far as to interrupt an employee as he was trying to sell a betta in a 1/2 gallon tank along with a non-aquatic live plant, and plant tabs. I politely told the lady that he was incorrect, and showed her the real aquatic plants, before suggesting she get a larger tank. To say the least, I'm not well liked at my local petsmart, though I honestly do try to be polite and well mannered when I correct the employees.

Neil D: actually, the caste system is only in india/hinduism. Social classes are world wide, so they are probably what you were thinking of.
Yes, youre right. Im indian, so its the first thing that hit me. The caste system is only prevelent in the traditional families, so our family doesn't give a care. We live in the US any way, in the 21 century, what good would the caste system be anyway? Anywho, yes, I was thinking of social classes.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #28 
tsoto80

Well you wanna hear something bad? I gave my mother-in-law a 15 gallon tank. I told her to cycle it. She had it running for a few weeks but did not put anything in it to make it cylce. She decides to go into Petco listen to that stupid emploee rather than me. That employee told her to take a lil bit of water out of both tanks and switch them and that will cycle it. This is a tank that has never had the gravel vacuum and only water that gets replaced is when it evaperates- if that. Then she tells me you can only keep two goldfish in a 20 gallon yet she wanted to put over 6 in there.

Okay if you were wondering I gave her the tank because I already have a total of 6 tanks I was going to replace my 5 with the 15 but it would not fit in my son's room and I did not want the 15 gallon tank to "go to waste." I am trying to teach her the right way but it is getting hard
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #29 
DoNotDeclaw

It's never wrong to speak up. JKfish, I've done the same thing, butting in. I eavesdrop, wait for a lull in the conversation, then add my 2 cents. The awesome thing about my local pet store is, I haven't had to do that yet.
DoNotDeclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #30 
Ai Shimizu

When I visited Wal-Mart there was an employee trying to make this clueless woman purchase a 1/2 gallon tank, but I decided to butt into the conversation and correct what the employee had said. I explained in a polite mannor that a betta could not live in a 1/2 gallon tank because the ammonia builds up too fast and ends up hurting it or killing it. The employee was a bit angry with me for correcting her, but I didn't care because I didn't want a fish to suffer when it didn't have to. When it was time for me to check out the woman who was going to purchase the betta thanked me for giving her the correct information and told me that she'd purchase a much larger tank after a visit to the bank. She didn't take the betta at that moment, but I'm positive that she took my advice and went back for it after she purchased a suitable tank. I was respectful about what I said and it worked out fine, so as long as you were respectful about what you said there shouldn't be a problem with correcting the employee.
Ai Shimizu is offline   Reply With Quote