Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #1 
CyerRyn

Betta Medicine

I tried a search but this info seems to be really scattered unless I'm over-looking something. I thought I'd make this post and see what would be best for in case that poor sad day of when you're Betta gets sick. I know there's quite a bit of illnesses that can happen to your Betta and for numerous reasons, but as a newer Betta owner I'd just like to request what should I have on hand at all times for unexpected illnesses as a temporary treatment? (obviously treatment would be completely dependent on diagnosis) I've read about epsom salt or is it AQ Salt? and IAL drops (I think that's what it is) and then quarantining. So what do you do when your Betta falls ill? I know there's a sticky in the Betta care section that has some info, but it doesn't really elaborate much on the different medicines available. I'd just like to know the basics to always have on hand.. like for emergencies. (Like humans we have bactine, rubbing alcohol, bandaids, etc)
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Maracyn 1 and 2 are good for bacterial infections.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:14 AM   #3 
Harley

Everyone has/develops their own ideas on what is right or what works. For people, we usually stick with whatever our parents used or what worked for us but asking a friend never hurts!

Maracyn 1 is good for gram-positive bacterial infections (symptoms: clamped fins, swollen eyes, heavy or rapid breathing, patchy coloration, change in swimming behavior or corner hiding) and Maracyn II is for gram-negative bacterial infections (recommended for the treatment of Popeye, gill disease, fin rot and tail rot, etc). Maracyn and Maracyn II both come with charts that giude you through the symptoms to tell you which one to use. I've had mixed success with both of them.

Another common one is Tetracycline but I haven't personally used it. Its good for both internal and external bacterial infections. Both epsom salt and aquarium salt can be used but for different things I think. I've only used Aquarium salt and it seems to work decent but don't use it for more than 10 days at a time. Its cheap and worthwhile to have. IAL drops would also be a great idea. I just ordered IAL leaves off Aquabid.com but don't know how long they can be stored. If you don't already, get a complete liquid test kit so you can act quickly if needed.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote