Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #1 
PewPewPew

Unhappy Random bloody fin tips

Oh Alle, wth. Ugh...

Back story:

Alle ripped/blew out his dorsal and anal fins a while back, which healed. However, there were two white nodes that healed where the rays connected. The other day, they ripped where those two nodes were. Idk what they were.
To keep the tank healthy, I added 1tsp/gallon of AQ for a few days. The water is kept clean with frequent water changes and all that.

But today, after seeing nothing wrong at all for the past week(!!!) I come back and SUDDENLY see the tip of the ripped dorsal with a large ball of fuzz (brownish/grey) on the end! EEWWW! It was bright red on the tip, like blood. The end of the fin (if it even was?) was long and had a pointed tip, looked like the end of the fin.

I flipped out DX As I tried to cup him, it knocked whatever that awful thing was off. This was weird, Ive never heard of that happening. Wth! It broke the end of the fin off, with the part up to the redness staying.

Parts of his anal fins tips are reddened now, as are a couple on his tail... Wroooo wttthhh!!

Anyone know what this is? It is not rod/string like like columnaris.

Housing
What size is your tank?
About 6 gallons
What temperature is your tank? Room temp atm- 78'
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No but I might add it..
Is your tank heated? Not at the moment, room is too hot.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Nerite snail...who almost died. Kinda nervous about that...

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra Pellets (mainly) and occasionally an Omega One mini pellet
How often do you feed your betta fish? Usually 3-4 a day, spaced evenly, with a day once a week he gets one pellet.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Usually every two days or so, since it lost the cycle a bit ago.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? often 50%, as little as 25% sometimes, but just to clean up snail poop.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I put in conditioner, a little bit of fertilizer and a little bit of magnesium sulfate (epsom) for the plants.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0, never goes above .5, usually not over .25ppm

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The fuzz as noted, was slightly lethargic right before I noticed, which is why I noticed. Better now..
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today around noon, did NOT have last night, for sure!
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?

Okay, this is where I need help/assurance:
I did a FULL 100% change, soaked everything in hot water that would remain in the tank, got rid of the cartage (it was gross and the cycle got ruined any way), even rinsed the filter and nuked the bio wheel in hot water (again, cycle died, wont have a cartrage for a while, I dont care) and removed all the marbles and rocks from the bottom for easier changes.

Scalded the tank, added water back with 1.5-2tsp/gallon of AQ salt, tanned the water, added in 1ml (1/4 normal dose) of melafix (the equiv of betta fix, yeah), and added in Jungle fungus clear tab (doesnt treat fungus, lol, says will clear what equivs. to a bacterial infection)

Im going to keep the water as cool as I can, but it usually wont budge all day or night past 78', which sucks. Its hottt in here.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Sometimes, hes had this red tip thing before even though my tank is kept well, and a month ago his tank mate Basch died mysteriously, so Im nervous. (tank was treated after his death)
How old is your fish (approxi
mately)? Ive had him 7months, hes enormous, so at the very very least Id say a year and a halfish.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #2 
Twilight Storm

I don't know what it is, but that's what was on moose (my moms betta) I think. His were bigger though, and on the tips of his ventral fins. They were shaped like the ends of a dandelion.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #3 
Twilight Storm

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=67913

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=67929

The first is Starspun's thread which seems like its the same problem maybe my sympathy goes out to you and your husband and poor Plato, and my thread on Moose is the second. Hope this might help.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Just wanted to let everyone know Alle is yet well again <3 <3 <3

It was def. some kind of bacterial infection, though why it sprang up so suddenly I still do not know. A few members have asked what I ended up doing to rid him of this, so this is what I did in the end:

I stopped using Jungle's anti-fungal meds, since it didnt work well with my need to keep the water changes at at least 50% each day.

I ended up:

-Keeping the water level high (5 gallons) because my filter wont work without. (The filter keeps the tank warm in my room, which is hot enough to stay at 77' with it on, lol! Thats just a personal experience though, shut yours off if you can)
-Removed all substrate and kept only a few (FAKE) plants for cover and easier changes
-Doing 100% changes each day (pfew, took forever)
-Adding in 3tsp/gallon of AQ salt after each 100% change.
---I did not add it in all at once. I have read many times and personally believe that such a high dose of salt should not be added in all at once.
Instead, I added 2tsp/gallon of salt into the tank, let it dissolve, added in Alle, and then, about an hour+ later, added in a pre-dissolved mix of 1tsp/gallon, knocking the total to 3tsp/gallon. (Yes, thats 15+ tsps of salt!)
-I kept the tank at 76-77', which helps fend off bacterial growth.
-Fed Alle the highest amount of protein I could get (only 43% in this case), but giving live or frozen foods are great.

--I added in 1mL of melafix to the tank, too, for each change. There is an ongoing debate about the harmfulness of melafix, in which I believe there is only harm when done at full dose or over dosed. I did about 1/4 or less of the normal doseage. I would not exceed 2 mL in a 5 gallon tank, IMO/E.

I am currently doing the same to ward off infection in my other fish, who got into a fight with his filter and lost.

Hope this helped.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote