Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #11 
dinahkay

Double post :)

Last edited by dinahkay; 04-20-2011 at 07:47 AM.
dinahkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #12 
dinahkay

Thanks! I honestly thought since I brought over my existing filter and deco without washing it or changing the cartridge that I was ok. I talked to a good fish store and they told me they thought the issue was my water quality out of the tap since it was testing at 1.0 ammonia before even going in the tank. They thought the water quality plus the added stress of the tank switch probably was too much for him. I switched his water to Ozarka per the store advice and that really helped the ammonia levels. I have been testing daily and so far so good. I also started him on Api tetracycline yesterday and he looks better today. He still isn't eating but he is upright and moving around a bit more. He still has clamped fins, but they aren't as clamped as they have been. Maybe he might make it out of this, time will tell I guess. I would feel better if he would start eating since it has almost been a week since he last ate.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #13 
ANHEL123

U know i am not sure but i see a lot of time forum recommending soak pellets in garlic juice it stimulate appetite. Try that. I did it for my bettas just because i thought it good for immune system. Try that it will not heart. Just make sure u take pellet out if he will not eat it.

I hope he will recover.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #14 
roadrunner

I hope he will recover soon. Keep trying to give him his favourite food/treat and see if he'll start eating. It's ok to spoil him little bit until he gets better. Keep us posted.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #15 
dinahkay

The good news its that he is moving around a little but more and isn't laying on his side at the bottom of the tank. He is still clamped, but not nearly as much! If I put his normal pellet in to feed him he darts over to eat it, but spits it out. He does this a couple times and then gives up. I have tried a different pellet and freeze dried bloodworms today and those dont even get taste. I have frozen bloodworms that I tried a couple of days ago when he want eating at all and he didn't even look at them. Any suggestions? Maybe tomorrow he will eat?
Old 04-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #16 
turtle10

Not sure what you can do about the tap water, but just know the ozarka can't be permanent. Bettas cannot survive on bottled water because it lacks the minerals that tap water has in it.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:57 AM   #17 
Harley

I hope things get better for you both. Have you tried micro pellets? Harley used to spit his pellets out on a regular basis. I got him micro sized pellets and he gobbles them right up now. Sorry, I know they're Nurtafin brand but not the exact name/type. I got it at PetSmart.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #18 
dinahkay

Update

So he looks a lot better! His colors are showing up better and he swims a bit more. I would say he its at about 80% right now. He isn't nearly as clamped, now it is just his pelvic fins that are clamped at times, but not all the time. He still isn't as active as he was, but is much better. I think that maybe due to the fact that I still can't get him to eat. I have tried everything I can think of...he normally gets the baby pellets, but while he tries to eat them he always ends up spitting them out. Sometimes he tries to eat the pellet two our three times but can't keep it down. I have tried frozen and freezedried bloodworms, and he won't even try those. It is as though he doesn't realize they are food. I know he its hungry since he hasn't eaten in 9 days and rushes over for the pellets. I have also tried soaking them in garlic as well as a different brand with no luck.

I finished his round of the tc tertracycline (4 doses over several days per yhe instructions) and did a 25% water change today and put in a new cartridge filter (i use a tom mini internal filter that I had removed the carbon portion while I was medicating him.) The water is still a yellow color, and I thought the new filter with carbon should correct that but it hasn't, any suggestions?

I took my water to a fish store in Austin and they tested my tank water and my tap water. My tank levels were all good, and my tap water did have ammonia levels. They suggested I stick with ozarka spring water due to my water quality. He said it was ok to use since it wasn't filtered water it was spring so it did have minerals. He said I could also mix it with some tap water for small changes if needed.

So any suggestions on getting the yellow color our of my water, and getting him to eat?

Last edited by dinahkay; 04-23-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #19 
dinahkay

Success! He finally are this morning! Now how do I get toys of this yellow colored water?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #20 
Harley

Glad to hear things are looking up. I would still make sure your tank is cycled. Don't forget to do it or other problems are sure to return. I wouldn't worry about the water color, it should subside in time with water changes.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote