Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #11 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai Shimizu View Post
Petco is the best store I've been to that sells animals. All of the enclosures are clean and have correct information available on an information booth right next to them. The animals are always very active and healthy, but rarely they'll have an animal get sick. They treat the problem quickly and don't make a fuss about it. The best part about visiting our Petco is that the employees always know what they're talking about when it comes to information on the animals. I've heard employees correcting families when they're about to purchase a 1/2 gallon tank for a betta and much more. It's music to my ears!
I wish my Petco was like yours. All the employee's are knowledgable but their betta's are so tiny they should still be in a grow-out tank.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #12 
luluo

We have one Petco near us that has great tanks and great employees. They seem to take very good care of the Bettas too. I got D'Argo there.

But, there is another Petco just a few miles away that seriously needs help in the fishkeeping department. They must be going through a bad time right now because I've seen it decline quickly in just the last month - dirty tanks, dirty Betta cups, empty tanks, no plants, ect. When I visited on Sunday they had signs up looking for experienced aquarists.

The Petsmart that is close to my house has a knowledgeable and helpful staff and whenever I am in there they are cleaning the tanks. But, I don't like the way Petsmart keeps their Bettas in the treated blue water because I can't see them very well. But, as far as I know that is company policy and not a reflection on that particular store.
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #13 
roypattonphoto

Petco is interesting.... ive been to 4 or 5 stores, and it seems each person in the store has some form of expertise for certain animals... but man if u pick the wrong day or wrong time to come in, youll get someone that is dumber then a box of rocks....
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #14 
Gizmothefreaky

My petco is awesome... The fish guy used to breed bettas, and i rarely ever see sick bettas that arent already being treated. Their tanks are not too over crowded, and kept clean. I wish they would put the female bettas into sororities though, i think it would help them sell.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #15 
Pekemom

Good to hear with all the bad press about chain stores!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:00 AM   #16 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekemom View Post
Good to hear with all the bad press about chain stores!

Most of the bad press is about the mammals at chain stores, i only ever buy fish from chain stores. lol
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #17 
baylee767

You guys are so lucky, my Petco usually has many rotting/dead Bettas that are badly diseased and have brown water and look super skinny....
But my LFS is amazing keeping as many king and HM Bettas possible in 1 gallon tanks ^.^
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #18 
beta novice

uhhh i hope you mean they dont shove alot of them in one tank
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #19 
Silverfang

I won't comment on the three male bettas who look like they've been ignored aside from a bite of food. But they had a tank with five females, and they were so very pretty. (even if some of them were a little small). I was oohing and aaahing over this one female, she had to be the alpha, and was so big with eggs she was practically screaming breed me :o The females in the tank looked much happier than the poor boys.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote