Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #1 
Twilight Storm

Velvet and possable fin rot?

A member suggested that I ask here just in case my fish may have velvet? I "think" my fish may be copper? (His body is like a gray/cobalt blue/purple, his fins have the same color+copper coloring?)

If you shine a flashlight on him you can see a pretty gold sparkle on his fins on top fin and tail. Is that irridecence? or velvet?

Also, when I got him he had a small hole in his tail fin, he has black coloring on his tail, and behind it his fins are transparent. on his lower fin they are white. the white is new fin growth I am guessing?

The transparent parts of his tail don't seem to be tattered at all but the black part seems to be getting slightly larger? (he has been growing a bit though, he is pretty small yet, and since he is a pet store fish I have no idea what his parents were like)

My friend JUST sent me these and they're the only pictures I have that aren't black of my fish. (TS, not moose :( ) Its the best picture I have until I can get him in my 3 gallon.

I don't understand how to get pictures in my profile album to go here, or else my computer is blocking me from seeing them... (Happens to half the pictures on here.)If picture does not show here I do have them in my picture album here on the forum.

note: The temp in my tank is 80, the thermometer is sitting at a bad angle, he likes to knock it around.

Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #2 
turtle10

If you could answer these questions it would really help. We need info on the tank, etc to help you.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #3 
Twilight Storm

I got him from pet supplies plus. He was in a sparkling clean cup and was very active. Turns out when I got him home and opened the cup he was bent to the right, and constipated. I got that fixed. I shined a flashlight on him at night and saw he had gold dust like glitter at the ends of his fins, the next morning it had been a larger area and he started clamping his fins (although im not totally sure if my defination is the same as what people use here) they however were not looking right. I looked up velvet and it seemed to be what he had/(has?). got coppersafe and treated him for two days. (Stopped that because he appeared to get better and I have NO idea if it is normal coloring on my fish. nor the black on fins the white, or the clear as in above post.)

I can't figure out how to post a picture inside the forum and im guessing no one can get in to see my pictures in the profile? Not entirely sure what the info below will provide that is relivant to my question above though but I provided it so someone could give me a clue? the first pic which should be above is of my fish, its the only one you can see what im talking about. the second is his real tank which he has not been in yet. I don't want to put him in there until I KNOW 100% he doesn't have velvet so I don't have to toss the gravel too since I had to pitch the plants already.

ty again- TS

Housing

What size is your tank? 1/2 gallon quarnteen
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hakari betta bio gold baby pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x daily, two pellets at each feeding.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? top fin tap water dechlorinator, and a half tsp of api aquarium salt per gallon of water (mixed in water bottle)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? yes with test strips which I know aren't accurate but its all I have at the moment.

Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.0
Hardness:180
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? see above post
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no change
When did you start noticing the symptoms? when i bought him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? salt now, although for two days after i got him had treated him with two drops of coppersafe per water change. he has been in a very dark place for a little over a week as well since he didn't like light to begin with, and would prevent velvet from photosynthsis if he has it.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? possably. Like I said in above post he has a small hole in his tail and the gold "dust"/glitter/irridecence, the white and black color on fins (see above post)
How old is your fish (approximately)? less then 6 months? He was and still is very small. About an inch and a half from his mouth to the end of his tail fin. I have had him since april 10th, bought same day as the evil moss ball in my other post :(
Old 04-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #4 
Twilight Storm

http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?a...ictureid=13833

Not sure if that will work. Its harder to see, but the only other pic of twilight that came out when he was over a few days ago. If that link doesn't work I will try something else.

If anyone has any ideas or can answer any of the questions, I would appreciate it. Thank you for everyone's help again with moose as well.