Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #1 
autumnang

Unhappy Day 5 of Stanley's treatment with no improvements!

Original thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=67989

I've been treating Stanley in a QT for 5 days now with 100% changes of treated water with aquarium salt. The temp is a steady 76, but his condition isn't improving much. In fact, he seems to be breathing heavily, his head around his gills seems a bit puffy. Is this normal?

He started out just laying on his side at the bottom of his bowl five days ago. I fushed out and upgraded him to a filtered 2.5 gal with new gravel, and switched him from bottled spring to treated tap water. He was eating freeze dried blood worms, but thank's to Tutle's advice, now has pellets - which he wont eat.

SO, he hasnt eaten in 5 days, doesnt seem to be getting better from the salt treatments, and now seems to be breathing heavily. Any suggestions on additional things I could do? I read a lot about people using chemical treatments/medications. Is this advisable? If so, what should I use??

Thanks, I really want Stanley to get better!
Attached Images

autumnang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #2 
autumnang

*I rushed out, not fushed out...*
Old 04-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #3 
FuulieQ

I really can't see anything wrong with him, which is frustrating because I don't know what to tell you to do. How old is he?

I wouldn't start any medications unless someone can tell you with reasonable certainty what is wrong. Medications stress the fish, so if you're dumping in a chemical that's not going to help, it could just make him worse.

If at all possible, I would get him a heater that warms the water more. 76 is on the low side. If he were healthy I would say it's fine, but as it is... he's not.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #4 
autumnang

thank for the reply. I've had him for about 5-6 months from the pet store...right now I have one of those automatic heaters that you can't adjust, the thermometer is reading 76...maybe I'll go get a better heater, I'm assuming they make kinds you can set the temp on... is it normal for salt treatments to take so may days to show any progress? Will he gradually get better, or just wake up A-OK one day?

Again, thanks for the reply, I really care about this little guy!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #5 
FuulieQ

I'm not sure why he's on salt... he doesn't look bloated to me or anything. Let me read through your other thread and see what the other members thought.

They do have adjustable heaters. They're a little expensive, but I've found them to be much more sturdy than the pre-set ones.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #6 
autumnang

thanks, I appreciate the help, and so does Stanley I'm sure!! poor thing, when I go near the tank i can tell he wants to get up and visit with me, but he flips his back fin and just cant seem to get upright. when he does go up to breathe, he's almost siezing that back fin and sticking his whole head out of the water, poor thing.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #7 
FuulieQ

Okay, I'm still not sure why they told you to put him in salt if he's not showing signs of infection or fungus - probably a precautionary measure. I don't want to tell you to stop that treatment since I'm not sure why they told you to do it. It also might help a little with his swimming issues.

Does he eat the freeze-dried bloodworms if you offer them? I'm sure being hungry all the time won't help him perk up, so if he's refused the pellets for five days and is getting worse, I wouldn't let him go much longer without food.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #8 
autumnang

i tried offering a bloodworm yesterday, will try again... i put two in, but he doesnt even seem interested..he used to know right when they hit the surface... :(
Old 04-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #9 
FuulieQ

:( Poor guy. I'm sorry. I really don't know what to tell you to do. I hope someone more knowledgeable reads this soon. Just keep the water clean and warm, at least he'll be comfortable.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #10 
Littlebittyfish

Sometimes soaking the pellets/ bloodworms in a little garlic juice helps. Do you have any IAL? My little guy was doing the same thing pretty much..laying at the bottom...I steeped some IAL and it seemed to help him out.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote