Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #11 
Neil D

Sometimes pet store bettas have illnesses that u dont see right away. Hope he gets better.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #12 
roadrunner

Sorry to hear about your fish. First I would stop salt treatment. If he is not bloated or has fin rot, there is no need for salt. Plus you should use it only for about 10 days anyway, longterm salt use is not recommended. I have my bettas in small tanks, no heater, I do 100% regular water changes, temp about 74 and they are doing great. I use tap water with conditioner only and currently I have betta over 3 years old and my oldest one was around 5 when he passed away. If you have a filter in your tank, you should do the cycling first. I'm not going into great details here, there is tons of info on the net how to properly cycle aquarium. You should do regular 25% water changes every other day for about 2 weeks. If you can afford, get some test so you can keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite because they are very dangerous for fish. If the levels read high, do a water change immediately. To speed up the process, you can get seachem stability. I know you use bottled water, but tap water maybe lot easier for you and even more stable environment for you fish. Do you have soft or hard water? Generally fish can adapt to any type of water, so if you introduce your fish to it slowly he should be ok. I believe that fresh clean water is the best medicine. I try to avoid any medications unless is absolutely necessary and I know exactly what I need to treat. Trying everything that is out there to see if it helps, can only cause more damage. Good luck!
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote