betta fish

Old 04-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #11 
Neil D

Here:
http://www.google.com/m/search?site=...etta%20kit#p=0
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #12 
RiverStoneBetta

I know it's not their natural habitat, but I like a natural "Amazon" look to it. Lots of plants, places to hide. I decided a long time ago to stop buying gravel that looked like clown puke, and my tanks are all the better for it. My feeling is the more natural the tank looks and feels, the better my fish will be. That way I'm bedazzled by my fish's' natural beauty, and the result is greater than the sum of its parts.

The only time I ever stepped out of that "natural" look was when I built Boba's tank. Black gravel, green plants, with a brilliantly red fish an a giant white crocodile skull. <-- You can see it all in my avatar. I love the contrast the colors provide, and it's easily my favorite tank, aesthetically. It also helps that it has NEVER gotten filthy. Even when I stir up the gravel, I'll see one or two bloodworms and some detritus, but otherwise clean. Boba is a neat freak I guess.

Last edited by RiverStoneBetta; 04-19-2011 at 10:02 AM.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #13 
Neil D

GRRRR! I want black gravel! I think my cardinals and Josh would look better!!!!!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #14 
RiverStoneBetta

I don't remember where I got it from. But I like it, since it doesn't draw away from the look of the tank, and brings out a bright fish's colors a bit more.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #15 
Neil D

Jealousy runs high.... I saw it at my lfs, and am gonna ask for it for my bday. (lame, right?)

Last edited by Neil D; 04-19-2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot sometimes...
Old 04-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #16 
RiverStoneBetta

Not really. I'm asking for computer upgrades for my birthday. All my fish needs for the next 3 months were taken care of back in December.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:27 PM   #17 
DoNotDeclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverStoneBetta View Post
I decided a long time ago to stop buying gravel that looked like clown puke, .
lol, lol, clown puke. That makes me want neon gravel even more.
DoNotDeclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:40 AM   #18 
roypattonphoto

lol... ooo i just got an idea...... Sand mixed with Glow in the Dark Gravel.... hmmm

so how does bambo work? ive been told that you cant submerge it completely (which defeats the purpose lol)....how fast do they grow,

i was thinking about getting 3-5 of them and staggering them throughout one side of the tank, and rig some floating plants between them to make like a garden for the betta to swim through and hide in......make sense?
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:08 AM   #19 
Neil D

Hmmm. I don't see how bamboo will work, seeing as u can't submerge it and u need a cover for a betta tank. But if u find a way...yay!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #20 
RiverStoneBetta

Bamboo really is only worth thinking about if you have a shallow tank. Even then, it all depends on the species of bamboo you get. We grow a little bit in my kitchen, and it takes forever. However, we have bamboo, which we thought was river cane, in our back yard that grows at a mind-boggling rate.

And I used to have neon pink gravel in my goldfish tank until I got completely sick of it, and thrashed the entire tank, replacing it with natural riverstone. I tossed the excess in our back yard, and every so often, I see a patch of pink in the back, haunting me.