Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #1 
n3wport

This is confusing me. arrugh

Okay guys I know you see this question a lot and will probably skip over it but I am like over analyzing this.
I want to get a little friend for my betta in a 5 gallon tank. Just one friend though. Because I want them to have enough room to live together and no bickering.
I was really looking into Mystery Snails, and apparently they dont get too big, and don't reproduce alone. But I've also read that they produce alot of waste. If I were to get a snail, how much more often would I have to clean a 5 gallon tank (filtered)?
I wanted to look into the pygmy cat fish but idk if my fish will like another fish, and I don't want a ghost shrimp.
Is this making any sense or am I just being a virgo? haha sorry :(
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #2 
FuulieQ

Do you have live plants in the tank? :U
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:50 PM   #3 
baylee767

You can't just get one pygmy, you have to get a minimum of 3 or 5 since they're VERY social fish. I BELIEVE you could fit 5 in a 5 gallon with a Betta, but I'd personally only add other fish in a 10 gallon.

Nerites are a lot less... messy. Zebra nerites, at least, only breed in brackish water.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Yeah, Id go with a nerite, or two. Its 2.5 gallons for each nerite you have. They zooooommm everywhere. Olive, zebra and leopard nerites are great. I luh mine. They poop like monsters, though.

To be honest, they dont make the bio load much heavier in a tank, even big snails. The main thing is their turds, which are everywhere. That alone will make you want to siphon more, trust me ;) Haha, its gross!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #5 
n3wport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Yeah, Id go with a nerite, or two. Its 2.5 gallons for each nerite you have. They zooooommm everywhere. Olive, zebra and leopard nerites are great. I luh mine. They poop like monsters, though.

To be honest, they dont make the bio load much heavier in a tank, even big snails. The main thing is their turds, which are everywhere. That alone will make you want to siphon more, trust me ;) Haha, its gross!
Yea, I just wanted to buy a mystery snail for the tank, and I read they produce a lot of waste. How much should I clean out the 5 gallon tank? Should I still replace the filter every month?
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

In a 5gal filtered tank...I would only recommend shrimp and/or snails...not big enough to properly house any other fish along with the Betta...

Water changes should be 50% weekly with substrate vacuum to maintain water quality

Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month and when the water flow slows to maintain good water flow and oxygen to the beneficial bacteria for the nitrogen cycle......

IMO/E-Changing the filter media is not needed until it is falling apart-unless you want to use carbon/charcoal and the filter media is the combo type-both the sponge and carbon together

If the charcoal is separate from the sponge-change the carbon per package direction-if combo type-either cut a piece of the sponge off the old one and leave in the filter for a week or so to seed the new filter media or make an extra 50% water only change a week for a couple of weeks unless you have water testing products to monitor ammonia and make water only change with ammonia 0.25ppm or greater....

Once the tank has matured (over 3months) usually you will have enough beneficial bacteria in the top layer of the substrate, walls in the tank and filter box, decoration, plants to prevent mini-cycles when the filter media is changed out....., however, it always a good idea to monitor the ammonia for a few days after large water changes and filter media change/cleaning and/or watch the fish behavior for changes and make a water only change as needed between the regular weekly water changes....

The fish and hobbyist are one of the best indicators of water quality and problems with the environment.......power of observation......

Charcoal use is a personal choice more than a need-weekly water changes do the same thing-remove odors, tannins, medication...etc......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:52 PM   #7 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3wport View Post
Yea, I just wanted to buy a mystery snail for the tank, and I read they produce a lot of waste. How much should I clean out the 5 gallon tank? Should I still replace the filter every month?
Never replace the filter cartridge, it will completely destroy your water cycle.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #8 
artes

Have you considered an African dwarf frog?
artes is offline   Reply With Quote